magnifier for cursor

Keye

Keye
Corporate Member
Not even sure how to ask this question. Making a few cuts over a period of time a hand held magnifier is OK. Making 100 cuts advancing 1/32" at a time using a hand help magnifier sucks. I wear glasses which does not help. I tried wearing magnifying glasses but this is a pita.

I have googled every phrase I can think of trying to find something I can adhere over the cursor but have not been able to find anything.

I am sure old age and poor eyesight is not unique on this site. Has anyone run into this type issue and figured out a solution.

IMG_0539.JPG

Rick Mainhart

Rick
Corporate Member
Good afternoon Keye,

Here is a link to a magnifying plastic ruler: - Office Depot

Cut a section and attach it to your existing pointer, or make it the replacement.

I didn't come up with this ... saw it used several times by other people ... and I'm happily stealing it! :)

You can also get a Grizzly magnified cursor ... P1023RL512 MAGNIFIED CURSOR ... and attach that.

edit: MAGNIFIED CURSOR at Grizzly.com is the current part ... $3.50 each.

Hope this helps,

Regards,
Rick

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
I used a magnifier like this Magnifier

However, this is a ruler, the one I used was for a book. Best to get one without the line then put your own in. I used a heated chisel and a red marker to highlight the groove.

Wiley's Woodworks

Wiley
Corporate Member
I've got a Powermatic 66 table saw. The cursor magnifier has 2 lines etched into it--one on the flat bottom and one across the convex lens. The result is, depending on the angle you look at it, you can either line up (stack) the lines on top of each other to get one solid line and put it directly over the inch marking, or look at it from the side (where you stand when you feed wood into the blade) and get a small gap exactly the size of the markings on the fixed ruler scale and place the ruler marking in the gap. The difference is ~1/32". Is one way "more correct than the other? I have gravitated to using the gap method.

Charles Lent

Charley
Corporate Member
When I began having this trouble, I went Digital. I added a Wixey Digital Readout to my Unifence on my Unisaw, a digital caliper for measuring, and an angle cube for setting the saw blade angle. For getting my miter gauge set accurately, I tried several of the so-called advanced miter gauges, but then bought a pair of Miter Set gauges for setting my existing Delta OEM miter gauge accurately.

These additions took my woodworking to a whole new level. Everything that I make now fits perfectly together . If it doesn't, I have only my brain to blame for the error. The Wixey read out on the saw fence is easy to recalibrate for zero, and can display in absolute or incremental mode in both metric and imperial, so your incremental need can be solved by just the push of a button. I can set the fence and make a cut, then move the fence to other positions and make other cuts, then move the fence back to the first position and the cut that I make will be within 0.003- 0.005" inches when the first and second identical parts are measured. I can't come anywhere near this accuracy using a magnifying glass to see the ruler scale better. For incremental measurements, once the first cut has been made, any increment desired can be repeated over and over just by the push of the button and positioning the fence for the repeated reading.

Charley

Keye

Keye
Corporate Member
When I began having this trouble, I went Digital. I added a Wixey Digital Readout to my Unifence on my Unisaw, a digital caliper for measuring, and an angle cube for setting the saw blade angle. For getting my miter gauge set accurately, I tried several of the so-called advanced miter gauges, but then bought a pair of Miter Set gauges for setting my existing Delta OEM miter gauge accurately.

These additions took my woodworking to a whole new level. Everything that I make now fits perfectly together . If it doesn't, I have only my brain to blame for the error. The Wixey read out on the saw fence is easy to recalibrate for zero, and can display in absolute or incremental mode in both metric and imperial, so your incremental need can be solved by just the push of a button. I can set the fence and make a cut, then move the fence to other positions and make other cuts, then move the fence back to the first position and the cut that I make will be within 0.003- 0.005" inches when the first and second identical parts are measured. I can't come anywhere near this accuracy using a magnifying glass to see the ruler scale better. For incremental measurements, once the first cut has been made, any increment desired can be repeated over and over just by the push of the button and positioning the fence for the repeated reading.

Charley
when is fathers day :)

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS