Magazine rack plans...anyone have one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bugle

Preston
Corporate Member
My wife is really tired of having my magazines and my laptop laying on the end table and/or on the floor beside the sofa. I'm looking for plans for a magazine style rack that will hold both magazines and my laptop. Anyone know where I can get one? I guess I could design my own with SketchUp, but design is not my strong suit.:wconfused:

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Re: Magazine rack plans...No plans here

Bugle - Design isn't really my strong suit either, but the more I do the better I get. I don't use SketchUp - although I'd like to learn it. I genreally sketch it on paper, and visialize joinery, and then create cut lists.

As to actual style decisions, I would suggest doing a web search and looking for pictures that you might like. Using pictures as a guide, create sketches (paper or computer) and away you go. This is a perfect scale project to design yourself and gain confidence - you won't have 300 BF of materials to lose if you mess up.

I have made one or two magazine racks - and I'd be happy to share a picture if you want. Mine is made to wall mounted in the "reading room."

As to the laptop, I'd simply make a specific section sized so that you can easily slide the laptop into. Center section maybe (if this is a floor model), with a magazine section on either side?

Henry

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
No plans were [STRIKE]harmed [/STRIKE] used in this project!
I made 6 of these for Christmas gifts out of pine and I'll give some general measurements from the one still here.
The stock was 1X5 clear pine plus some 1X12 shelving for the bottoms.. The uprights on the ends are a 20" 1X5 with another 20" 1X5 crosscut in the center at a 45 deg angle and glued up. After the glue dried, I cut the angle to meet at the bottom. Just set the assembly onto a 1X12 and mark where the bottom should be. I put a large chamfer on the edges to dress it a little.

Magazine_Table_2_.JPG

View image in gallery
The tops were 20" and the bottoms were 18", and everything else cut to fill in. All the joinery is pocket hole.

Magazine_Table_1_.JPG

View image in gallery
The top boards are screwed to ledger strips which are in turn screwed to the center upright.

Magazine_Table.JPG

View image in gallery
Let us know how your project turns out.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
This was my first woodworking project. Dowel joinery.
magazine_rack_1.JPG

If this is what you're looking for, let me know.

Bugle

Preston
Corporate Member
Thanks for the ideas! Joe, pocket joinery will give me an excuse to buy the Kreg kit :gar-La;

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors