made a Thein separator thnx to Splint Eastwood

Status
Not open for further replies.

zapdafish

Steve
Corporate Member
thanks to Splint Eastwood (Matt) for helping me make a Thein Separator. Turned out to be much easier than I expected. Whenever I researched it, I ended up at a site with a wall of text and would blank out trying to read it.

forsale_015.jpg

It's a huge upgrade from my last one. It was leakey because the ribbed hose went inside rather than over the connectors and I never could get a satisfactory seal.

forsale_016.jpg

Between cleaning the filter and changing over to the new setup, the air flow increase is incredible. It even sucks up small bolts and chunks of wood now, before they wouldn't even move.

forsale_017.jpg

We made a sidetrip to Woodcraft for some supplies and had a major droolfest over the new Rikon 12" jointer planar combo. Then had some beef brisket at Danny's BBQ. IMO, they have some of the best BBQ around, and some of the cutest waitresses. :wink_smil

I also got a chance to see his new chessboard, really great craftsmanship and picked up alot of good tips.

Splint Eastwood

New User
Matt
Steve,

Thanks, I also had a good day, hanging out !

The pics look nice, and glad to hear it works well. The beauty is its a simple and relatively inexpensive upgrade. Better air quality and cleaner shop!

That Rikon is nice! @ $1,600 plus tax. Good price point, footprint. Not as heavy, weight wise as the Jet. As yet, no helix head for it. But if considering an upgrade, well worth checking out!

Lunch was delicious, who doesn't love Danny's BBQ?

Cheers!

Matt

Splint Eastwood

New User
Matt
Members helping members. North Carolina Woodworker at it's finest..... :icon_thum

Scott,

Right on point !

I got the separator and TC from you! and Canuck (Wayne) helped me with my Thein,

So, just paying it forward! Was alot of fun too! Steve is a great guy and also does good work.

M

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
It goes further back then that. I gave you my top after Bas gave me his Thein when he upgraded his system. Playing it forward is the way to live.

eyekode

New User
Salem
That is a significantly different design then I have seen previously. How efficient is it at separating? I.e. how much stuff makes it into your second trash can?

And nice side story of the hand-me down separators :).

Splint Eastwood

New User
Matt
That is a significantly different design then I have seen previously. How efficient is it at separating? I.e. how much stuff makes it into your second trash can?

And nice side story of the hand-me down separators :).

Speaking for myself, not familiar with the design history or its efficiency.

Nothing to compare it to. All I know is that it works! Im already on my 3rd trash can, and my bottom bag of Delta 1 1/2 hp DC has barely filled the bottom of the bag.

Again, an inexpensive, but major improvement with out a lot of effort!

Matt

wghatcher

Greg
Senior User
Is there a commercially available lid for the Thien separator? Or are you building everything from scratch?

Thanks, Greg

zapdafish

Steve
Corporate Member
or is that playwood?

:rotflm:

its MDF and I think red oak dowels, it was made from left overs. I had a chance to use a disc sander for the first time when rounding out the edges. Might have to add that to my wishlist of tools now.

We got the last lid from Woodcraft on Saturday, They are expecting a shipment on Thurs, not sure if they will have new lids come in then.

zapdafish

Steve
Corporate Member
The dowels are about 9" long and the separator came with a 90 deg elbow. It looked like the goal was to get the separator about 8-9" from the lip of the trash can. Took a few runs at the sander to get a nice fit that didnt require much force to free everything from the can.

The fit and seal on the lid is excellent. When I turn on the DC, I can see the whole thing compress and the sides of the can suck in a tad, if it were a plastic can it would probably crush in on itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS