Made a Lacewood Shelf with my Daughter

Jeremy Scuteri

Jeremy
I asked my daughter if she wanted to make a shelf for her room together. I got out the dry erase board and suggested something like this:

1571594531191.png

Right away, she rejected that design and sketched her own with 3 shelves and hooks at the bottom. Ok, well at least she knows what she wants! :) A few years back I picked up some veneer and a few other items at an estate sale and my daughter Hannah really like some Lacewood veneer that I had. That drove the decision to make this shelf out of Lacewood. Hannah did all the operations herself and got a good introduction to the tools in the shop. Breaking down rough stock on the miter saw, ripping on the table saw, face and edge jointing on the jointer, using the planer, drum sander, and random orbit sander. Not a lot of pictures because it was her first time using most of the tools and both of us needed to focus on what was being done for safety. A camera would have been a distraction for both of us.

Rough lumber
20190709_212738.jpg

Skip Planed
20190709_212821.jpg

She used the miter saw for the initial break down of the rough lumber
20190710_181320.jpg

Next was ripping on the table saw (clamping stock to the sliding table) and using the jointer.
20190712_232819.jpg

Marking the jointed faces.
20190718_234938.jpg

After glue up
20190930_183959.jpg

Finish applied and French Cleat installed. We used Boiled Linseed Oil as the finish. I didn't know of anything that is easier to apply (and repair).
IMG_6835.jpg

IMG_6824.jpg

Drilling holes for the hooks in the bottom. I have already been scolded for her hair not being put up. (rightly so). Luckily we didn't have any disasters. Didn't even think about it until I saw the pictures.....
IMG_6841.jpg

Now it was time to hang the shelf in her room.
IMG_6853.jpg

Where exactly should this shelf go......
IMG_6854.jpg

This spot looks good.
IMG_6857.jpg

Hold this while I go grab something.... :)
IMG_6858.jpg

IMG_6859.jpg

Hanging up the shelf.
IMG_6900.jpg

IMG_6901.jpg

All done.
IMG_6902.jpg

IMG_6914.jpg

Last edited:

Charlie

Charlie
Corporate Member
That is great. I love to see young people get involved in woodworking. I remember spending hours in the shop with my son and daughter.

I did make one observation though. It may be only the way the photo was taken, but have Hannah put her hair up when working. Long hair and drills (as well as any equipment) do not play well together.

I do remember an incident that happened when I was 8-9 years old that is funny now, but wasn't then. My brother had a small wind up car, wound it up and set it on my head. It took my Mom with scissors to remove it. Hurt my pride only.

Last edited:

Sam Knight

Sam Knight
Sam
Corporate Member
Woodworking and spending time with your daughter. Very cool dad right there! Nice shelf too. You may have started a lifelong passion in her as well.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS