Made a kaleidoscope for my daughter

marinosr

Richard
Corporate Member
Walnut and maple scraps, with a three mirror assembly inside, BLO and beeswax finish.

nn4jw

New User
Jim
Richard, hope you don't mind a question on your beautiful kaleidoscope. It looks the 4 cabuchons are attached to the outside of the tumble wheel, yes? If so, what kind of adhesive did you use and were you able to avoid the adhesive showing when viewing? Or maybe the cell is layered to segregate them and everything moves?

Thanks

marinosr

Richard
Corporate Member
Thanks all for the nice words.

Jim, all the baubles are glued to the outside of the plexiglass wheels. I used some clear epoxy judiciously, so that it's transparent when viewed through the scope. It may yellow over time but the layer is thin enough that I think it won't matter. There's no tumble cell though... It's two wheels of plexiglass with jewels/baubles glued on. They can spin independently of each other (they're on miniature R2 bearings) and that creates the infinitely changing mandala.

nn4jw

New User
Jim
Thanks all for the nice words.

Jim, all the baubles are glued to the outside of the plexiglass wheels. I used some clear epoxy judiciously, so that it's transparent when viewed through the scope. It may yellow over time but the layer is thin enough that I think it won't matter. There's no tumble cell though... It's two wheels of plexiglass with jewels/baubles glued on. They can spin independently of each other (they're on miniature R2 bearings) and that creates the infinitely changing mandala.

Thanks for the info, Richard. Looks like it was a fun project.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS