Lurem Update

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
Time for an update. I elected to go with the only hammered green paint I could find. Big orange had the best deal on rattle cans, FWIW. Yeah it is close to Grizz green. Anyway, below is the reassembled main structure.

The first photo shows the repaired infeed jointer table hinge/mount. Had it brazed. We'll see how that works.

Unknown-7.jpeg

The saw table is only temporarily in place to get it off the floor. Need to figure out how to clean it up. Still a lot of other pieces to clean and paint. Since it is AL, I want to be cautious.

Unknown-8.jpeg
Unknown-9.jpeg

Waiting on two bearings for the jointer/planer arbor. And, then try to find replacement drive belts (3). The planer bed cleaned up nicely using hand work only (photo 2 and 4).

This is turning out to be more work than restoring a unisaw.

Unknown-11.jpeg

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
You can buy the hammered rustoleum in qt cans if you have a sprayer. That is what I did on my Grizzly lathe. Think it was 20 bucks a qt

woodlaker2

Ray
Corporate Member
Looks like a major undertaking for sure. Good reference on sources for the (Grizzly like) paint. Good luck the rest of the way on your restoration. Looking forward to seeing then finished product!

Dee2

Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
Oka, thanks for the head's up. I thought about quart but also realized this would be a piece here and a piece later. More time cleaning the spray gun than painting. So I elected for rattle cans. Might cost a little more but I'm thinking it will save time. I need disposal spray guns. I'm already using DeKups (and cleaning those often times).

Thanks, Ray. Encouragement appreciated.

Dee2

Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
DrBob, yes and (potentially) more. Part of the puzzle.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
A little after the fact, but Agri Supply carries a variety of enamel tractor paint colors. Although what you have is obviously not John Deere green, it would be close to an old Oliver tractor color they may have.

Dee2

Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
I do miss ready access to Agri Supply. I used to walk through the place to seed ideas.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
I do miss ready access to Agri Supply. I used to walk through the place to seed ideas.
My legs would give out before I got through the one they built here in Monroe. It is huge! They must have 20 tons of lawnmower blades - and that doesn't count Bush Hog mowers.

Dee2

Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
A little more progress

lurem1.jpg

In the above the base of the mortising unit base has been installed on the left side. There is still much prep work on this. For one thing I will have to build a jig for the lathe to chuck the file cabinet rollers to convert for the mortising table. Same thing for the sliding table saw. I've also removed the saw table that was temporarily installed.

lurem2.jpg

In this the second photo the saw table is upside down. The shaper attachment is installed (top of photo) and the saw blade tilt and height adjustments have been installed. These functions are very primitive compared to saw adjustments on most of our saws we use now. The bright ring is the motor mount. The saw table will rotate 180 degrees clock wise and be placed on the main structure.

I at a stopping point now waiting for bearings for the jointer/planer arbor. When I get those and install the arbor I can reassemble the drive chain and install the saw table for good. This may be a considerable pause as I have not gotten a ship date on the bearings. In the mean time, I'll focus on modifying those cabinet rollers. Need some for the slider also.

Comments and critiques welcomed.

Dee2

Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
Another update while waiting on bearings.
Below is the infeed table. Can't find the before picture. Suffice to say it was covered in rust though not as bad as the outfield table. I sprayed it with WD40 and scraped it with a razor. This is the after soaking in citric acid overnight. About 2 tblspoons of the the powder to a cup of water. I didn't have a tub big enough so I laid out some foam board and placed a kitchen trash bag on top of the board and then 2 layers of paper towels. Placed the table on top of that. I pinched up the corners of the bag and sides and held it place with paper clamps to form a pan and poured in the acid. I lifted the table slightly from both sides to make the paper towels were soaked. Next morning some sanding. The picture is before sanding. Johnson wax is next.

Lurem Infeed.jpg

Also had some time to work on the rollers. Here's the jig I made from some white oak sampling (very green). Yep, two chucks! I have an adapter for the tailstock to do this. Makes it handy for aligning bowls to the headstock when removing tenons and for making roller jigs.

Lurem Roller Jig.jpg

Here's the target (old roller) and the a new roller before machining. The OD is spot on, just need to taper the corners.
Lurem Roller Replacement.jpg

So here is what the finished replacement roller looks like while still in the jig. I tried a skew and a parting tool and ended up using the parting tool mostly. Rinsed and repeated 13 times.
Lurem Roller Finish.jpg

Also scrounged around on the web and found suitable replacements for the drive belts. There are three. Photos later. Just glad to have found something in the US (well...North America) that would work. Shipping from Mexico for two of them via Prime took 3 days. The one from the US is pending - may be a USPS delivery which seems to be always....let's say challenging.

C&C welcomed.

Last edited:

Dee2

Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
Got the bearings. Installed. Now the jointer/planer drive train is installed. Getting help tomorrow to flip the top over onto the base. Probably lift the base off the furniture dolly before installing the top. Need to keep some shims from shifting or I'd try to set the top myself (LOL!!).

The chain drags ever so lightly on the arbor shaft.

Unknown-12.jpeg

The idler cog seems worn but it may be more of an appearance issue. The teeth are flat at the tip compared to the drive sprockets.

Unknown-13.jpeg

T'would be great if I could source a replacement friction bushing on the arbor (small brown thingy next to (brown/rusty) flywheel.
Unknown-14.jpeg

As you can tell this is more of a lipstick and mascara restoration. I don't have the drive to polish screws and bolts.

Last edited:

Dee2

Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
Installed the table top last evening and then realized I could not access the infeed table for the jointer. First big one-forward-two-backwards learning challenge. Disgusting part was I realized that a few weeks ago and forgot. Where is Dr. Carson's memory pills.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS