Lumber Rack

Status
Not open for further replies.

clowman

Clay Lowman
Corporate Member
Well.. The wife is on my to finish a project, and I need to rack up some lumber I have in the shop. Since I moved ( ummm nearly 3 years ago ) I haven't put up a lumber rack. I didn't really like what I had did last time, so I found this:

Lumber storage rack

I was thinking of a few things. My [strike]garage[/strike]... umm workshop has a concrete floor. How do I go about attaching some 2x4 studs to the floor to attach the 4x4s to for support? I plan on running some 2x4s from the edge of the wall, out far enough on the floor to be underneath the 4x4 posts where they contact the floor. Then I can attach the 4x4 to the 2x4 for support. But... how do I attach the 2x4 to the concrete?

Is there any sort of SUPER HERO type glue that I can use to attach the 2x4s to the floor?
Do I have to drill some sort of studs into the floor?

Am I making sense? Does anyone see a better way?

James Davis

New User
James Davis
Liquid nails holds lumber to concrete pretty well. But,the easiest way to attach wood to concrete is to drill 1/4" holes through the wood and the concrete ( a hammer drill works best for this)and then drive two nails into the hole. A 16d and a 8d common not coated works best and when you need to take it down you can pull the nails and remove the wood.

If you need a hammer drill for a couple of days let me know, I work in Raleigh and can through one in the truck one day and you can swing by and pick it up. I may even have a bit you can use.

James Davis:tool:

J

jeff...

http://www.tapcon.com

These work great. You can find them at the big box stores as a kit with the proper size drill bit too. The big tip is to clean out the hole really well like they say to.

The other option is a powder actuated nail gun like Ramset. http://www.ramset.com/tools_at_a_glance.asp#strip_tools

I'm with Tom - up in the frozen tundra (Northern IL) we had a house that had an unfinished basement, that I finished - those tapcon screws along with liquid nails worked very well. I don't think those walls will ever move without a jack hammer.

BTW glad to see your posting again :thumbs_up

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
Why do you need to attach the supports to the floor?

Just let Isaac Newton and his buddy Mr. Gravity do the work. As long as the top is attached to the wall or the top plate, there is absolutely no need whatsoever to anchor the bottom. The weight of the wood will hold it down. Anchoring the tops of the 4 X 4 supports at the top of the wall will prevent the top from sliding down and keep the bottom from sliding out.

The instructions don't mention anchoring the bottom either.

Unless you have a low garage ceiling, why not make a simpler vertical rack. You can still stack sheet goods behind it. Here is the recent thread on this subject and here is my original thread where I switched from a horizontal stack to the vertical below.

P9240002.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS