Lumber $0.75/bf in Advance [GSO CL]: maple/wild cherry/red oak beams

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Lyddon

New User
Joe Lyddon
Sure sounds good allright!!

Really wish I could get back there to get some of that stuff!

Sounds like BEAMS... heavy pieces...

Would be interested in what it really is... and if someone would be willing to ship me some...

Some pictures would be good... To SEE what we're talking about...

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
I sent an email asking for more information and pictures. We'll see what happens.

For .75/bf it might be worth taking a 2-1/2 hr drive.

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
Already got a response:

All the beams are 4 inches thick, 8 foot long from 6 inches to 10 inches wide no splits or cracks been in dry for 25 years very solid furnature quality wood or very nice floors

He did not send any pictures.

Joe Lyddon

New User
Joe Lyddon
Mark,

Thank you for getting more information!
It sounds like it's pretty good to me... A lot of resawing required... so what if it takes a few blades!

If anyone else on the Left coast would want some, we might be able to develop a good sized load dropping to individuals in the general area. (??)

We would just need someone at that end to get the stuff on a truck (I think)...(??)

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
How would we get this stuff out to you 'left coasters'? Shipping costs may make this not such a great deal.

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
Got another email. He says there are no nail holes. The lumber was cut and stored.

He sent a couple of pictures but they are bad. He asked if I wanted more and/or better pictures and I said YES!

Let's see what he sends.

Is anyone else interested in this?

gdoebs

New User
Geoff
I may be interested, if there's someone here that could resaw it for me.

I also have a truck and 12' trailer.

lspooz

Larry
Corporate Member
Wow, lots of interest - if anyone does buy up a bunch, I'd happily pay for three cherry beams and gas money to NW Greensboro - not sure what I'd do with 'em yet, but a great deal.
Keep me posted if anyone does a wood run...
[4"x8"x8ft yields 21.3bf for $16 each, ~$12 if 6", ~$20 if 10"]

WadeP

New User
Wade
Sounds like something I would be interested in too. Would have to work with someone to get it resawn (resawed?) but I could pick up a small load of 8' material in Raleigh and bring it back to Greenville on a weekend. All I have for transport is my PU but it is a long bed and I have been known to load it up a time or two . . .

shaf2376

New User
Jeff
Hey Guys.
I went and took a look at this and it is full of powder post beetles. There was a lot of oak but not much cherry and most of it was 4x4 and 1/2 to 3/4 sap wood. It did have checks and splits but for anyone interested in running the oak through a kiln you might end up with something wothwhile. Just another note, the first stack I saw looked like a giant pok-a-dot.

kclark

New User
Kevin
Can't decide on whether to go look at this wood or go ahead and go to another supplier and get all of my cherry from the same tree from a local sawyer that he has on hand.

shaf2376

New User
Jeff
Kevin not to beat a dead horse but if the cherry was any good there would not be any left because I would have bought everything he had. I came home with an empty trailer. Ther were no wide cherry boards and like I said almost all of it was 4x4 short 6' or less cut from very small trees. The only stuff he has worth considering is the oak and everything there had beetles in it.

kclark

New User
Kevin
Yeah,
I decided not to go after it. I posted my reply but failed to see your post above mine. I am going to my sawyer to get some Wild Cherry very little sap @ $1.50 bd/ft.

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
Thanks for the update, Jeff.

You just saved me a long drive and some gas money. :icon_thum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS