Lowes 10% discount to veterans

Status
Not open for further replies.

pbaileyjr

New User
Paul
I just found this out a couple weeks ago. Lowes will give US military veterans 10% off all purchases, even stuff that is marked down. You do have to have an ID, discharge papers or some proof of your service. I may be the last person to find this out though....

M

McRabbet

Someone also posted in a thread here today to take advantage of another 10% discount that is available -- check your local Post Office for a Moving Kit -- many of them have a 10% discount coupon for Lowe's in them. You can also Google "Lowe's Discount Coupons" and find that Lowe's also has a Moving discount coupon you can print out and use. I do not know if they are additive with a Military or veteran's discount.

sapwood

New User
Roger
The local HD once gave me a "match" on the 10% Lowes military discount. Purchase had to be over $99, but I had no problem with that!

Thanks to Lowes and HD for offering this discount :icon_thum

Roger

pbaileyjr

New User
Paul
I had a friend of mine in Washington say that he got his military discount and the Lowes coupon together on the purchase of a washer/dryer but I asked at Lowes in Raleigh and Knightdale and they said that only one discount would be honored. Haven't tried HD yet, but will.

Mr. Bill

New User
Bill Hinds
Lowe's has done this for a while. An e-mail to their web site lowes.com letting you know it is appreciated will certainly help the person who made the decision to give the discounty in the first place. Also, the cashiers often have to get a manager to "override" the price in the computer, so if you checkout at or near the cusomter service desk a manager is more likely to be handy. This saves you and the cashier some time and hassle.

RayH

New User
Ray
HD, at least the one in north Raleigh, has for the last year or so had a 10% military discount. They advertise it around Veterans Day, but seem to honor it year round if you ask them. ID card works. Someone posted this here sometime back, and I have used it whenever I remember to do so.

Big thanks to both Home Depot and Lowes for doing this.:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Ray
(one of the old vets)

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
I had a friend of mine in Washington say that he got his military discount and the Lowes coupon together on the purchase of a washer/dryer but I asked at Lowes in Raleigh and Knightdale and they said that only one discount would be honored. Haven't tried HD yet, but will.

They have combined my military discount and a coupon ever time I shop at the Goldsboro Lowes. Then again I don't ask. I give them the 10% off coupon, they put it in, then I ask for the military discount. I get it every time~! :banana:

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
I took advantage of the 10% discount at Lowes yesterday.

FYI, they now require that you have a picture ID with your military status. Not a problem for active military, but, if you are a veteran, you do need to get a photo ID. According to the VA online, you can get a photo ID from any VA office or hospital. I am going to check into the procedure on Monday to find out what needs to be done to get that ID. Maybe someone here has already gone through the process and can let us know what the procedure is.

Even though I did not have a picture ID, Lowes gave me the discount based on my DD-214.

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
For anyone still interested in this, we have a nice little catch 22 situation.

Lowes new corporate policy on this 10% discount requires that a picture ID card issued by the veterans administration be shown in order to obtain the discount. Veterans that are retired or are disabled can get this ID card from any VA hospital.

I did one tour in the army and got out with my honorable discharge. I did not put in enough time to retire, nor did I get discharged for any medical reason. I am not disabled as a result of military service. Therefore, I am not eligible for VA medical benefits, and the VA only issues picture ID cards for veterans with VA medical needs.

I read a couple of articles (on line, so it must be true) that say veterans can get an ID card from a veteran's organization like American Legion, VFW, etc. I spoke with a manager at Lowes and was told that Lowes corporate sent out an email saying that those ID cards cannot be used to obtain the discount.

So, the bottom line is, Lowes veteran's discount policy effectively excludes a very large percentage of veterans.

If anyone knows of any other way to get an 'official' VA ID card, please let us know.

steviegwood

New User
Steven
it has been a while since i was in lowes but the last time they honored my legion card which is not a photo i.d.. the home depot that i have access to has never honored a veterans discount except near veterans day. i am in the same group as i served but not retired or disabled from military service. steve

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
According to the manager at my local Lowes, this is a new policy. They used to accept any form of id indicating that you were a veteran, American Legion, AMVETS, VFW, DD-214, etc.

Since so many people were taking advantage of the discount, they (Lowes corporate) thought that some may have been 'borrowing' a veterans paperwork (DD-214). I asked "Why not check the name against the person's driver license?". The manager said that would be one additional step in verifying eligibility, and they didn't want to have to do that.

The manager did say that she thought the rules would be loosened up some for holiday and special occasion type promotions.

I think Lowes just saw too many real veterans taking advantage of the offer and decided they needed to do something, other than completely stopping the discount, to try to cut back on the number of discounts being taken.

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
OK, I finally got to bottom of this.

http://blog.uso.org/2010/02/11/lowes-expands-support-of-the-military-with-year-round-discount/

Lowe’s Companies, Inc. announced this week that it is expanding its support of the military by offering an all day, every day 10 percent discount to all military personnel who are active, reserve, retired or disabled veterans and their family members, with a valid, government-issued military ID card.
All other military veterans will receive the discount on the Memorial Day, Fourth of July and Veterans Day weekends.
Lowe’s was founded on the heels of World War II by veterans Jim Lowe and Carl Buchan and has always been a supporter of the military,” said Larry D. Stone, Lowe’s president and chief operating officer. “The year-round discount program is one way we are reaffirming our commitment to the thousands of men and women who are serving throughout the world, as well as their family members at home.”
The discount is available on in-stock and Special Order purchases up to $5,000. Excluded from the discount are sales via Lowes.com, previous sales, and purchases of services or gift cards.
While Lowe’s has had a military discount program in the past during select times of year, the new policy will allow those who are serving to benefit from the discount whenever they need it the most.
“What a great way to say thank you,” said Sloan Gibson, president and CEO of the USO. “We salute Lowe’s for the company’s commitment to helping military personnel and their families who served and continue to serve our nation.”
The USO was also selected as one of the beneficiaries of the Lowe’s Employee Giving Campaign in January. This initiative allows Lowe’s employees to donate directly from their paychecks to support those who are serving our country.
In addition to offering military discounts at specific times during the year, Lowe’s has extended benefits for its employees serving in the military and offers employment opportunities to military personnel after their military service has ended. Currently, more than 12,000 Lowe’s employees are military veterans or reservists.

sapwood

New User
Roger
:eusa_thin I may have my old military ID card.

And I look the same today as I did 40 years ago :rotflm:

Roger

Postscript: When I got the matching discount at HD the clerk originally stated the discount was only good on certain holidays/promotions. However, the CS manager decided I could have it.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
For those that do have an ID, it may help speed the process if you tell the cashier that you want the discount before they start ringing up the sale. Otherwise, they have to get the head monitor to ring it in, which can take a while.

At least that's been my experience. Here in Goldsberry, you can only take one discount, however it usually works on clearance and marked down items. Depends on how the price is loaded in theinventory,

Go

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors