Lots of new pens

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexL

New User
Alex Lesniak
I was busy this week turning a lot of new pens. I went back to Indiana on vacation last week and we went to a wedding where I sold some pens and took orders for a few others.

This first one was ordered by my uncle. It is a flat top American in platinum the wood is cross grain bloodwood

Pens_7_22_08_002_800x600_.JPG

I got orders for three Retro pens

Pens_7_22_08_038_800x600_.JPG

The first one is in cross grin walnut

Pens_7_22_08_032_800x600_.JPG

The second in cross grain bloodwood

Pens_7_22_08_034_800x600_.JPG

And the third in straight grain olivewood

Pens_7_22_08_036_800x600_.JPG

I also made three Atlas pens this one is cross grain morado

Pens_7_22_08_021_800x600_.JPG

These two are acrylic

Pens_7_22_08_031_800x600_.JPG

I made several Sierra pens. The top one is bubinga then bloodwood, padauk and morado

Pens_7_22_08_047_800x600_.JPG

Bubinga

Pens_7_22_08_018_800x600_.JPG

Bloodwood

Pens_7_22_08_050_800x600_.JPG

Padauk

Pens_7_22_08_010_800x600_.JPG

Morado

Pens_7_22_08_017_800x600_.JPG

This chrome cigar is in morado. It was ordered by an ATF agent

Pens_7_22_08_045_800x600_.JPG

Pens_7_22_08_042_800x600_.JPG

This next one I made for fun. I was experimenting with a slim line kit and made my own center band out of ebony. the wood is cocobolo

Pens_7_22_08_040_800x600_.JPG

As you can tell it didn't turn out too good. The band doesn't fit the clip end and the cocobolo blew out at the band. I filed it with shavings and CA glue just so I could finish it. I like the look of the cross grain cocobolo but I need a better center band design.

This is another pen I sold. It is a European deco in morado

Pens_080_Medium_.jpg

This last one is another European deco this time in emerald green acrylic

Pens_075_Medium_.jpg

The green doesn't show up good in the picture but you should see it in the sunlight :icon_thum

I made a few others but I must have missed taking pictures of them:dontknow:

I also uploaded several other pictures into my gallery alex

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Some really nice looking pens you have there! I can't wait to get back in the shop to turn some more.

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
Looking good Alex! Did that Morado come from where I think it did? :wink_smil Thank god it is away from me! You obviously have good technique. Are you making anything on your sales or just covering your costs?

Doug

AlexL

New User
Alex Lesniak
Looking good Alex! Did that Morado come from where I think it did? :wink_smil Thank god it is away from me! You obviously have good technique. Are you making anything on your sales or just covering your costs?

Doug

My dad bought the morado at kilngspor when we were there for the woodworking showcase. I think I do ok on the prices my dad pays for the supplies so for me its all profit:icon_thum All of the money goes into my 529 account for college alex

DonEve

New User
Don
Alex,

Really nice job on all of the pens! I can see how you sold them. What finish did you use on the pens made from wood?

Don

AlexL

New User
Alex Lesniak
Alex,

Really nice job on all of the pens! I can see how you sold them. What finish did you use on the pens made from wood?

Don

its a CA linseed oil finish. I've been reading a lot of different ways to apply a ca finish and so far this one works for me. I use both thick and thin ca with the linseed oil. It takes a lot of time to apply even longer that it takes to turn the pen but I think its worth it alex

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Alex,

Nice job on the pens :eusa_clap! When are you gonna start turning other things, or is this good for you ?

You could always become the next Eagle.

Jimmy:mrgreen:

AlexL

New User
Alex Lesniak
Alex,

Nice job on the pens :eusa_clap! When are you gonna start turning other things, or is this good for you ?

You could always become the next Eagle.

thanks. I started turning some candle sticks for my mom but I never finished them. I tried turning a bowl once but it didn't turn out. I would like to try another bowl sometime. For now my mom is helping me start a business called Pens for College. I want to work on that until I get medical school paid for :wink_smil alex

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
thanks. I started turning some candle sticks for my mom but I never finished them. I tried turning a bowl once but it didn't turn out. I would like to try another bowl sometime. For now my mom is helping me start a business called Pens for College. I want to work on that until I get medical school paid for :wink_smil alex

At the rate you're going, you may get med school paid off:icon_thum. Once again, congratulations on your work, and I commend you on putting away money in your 529 plan:eusa_clap.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
WOW Alex you ROCK!!!!! Those are outstanding pens, your fit looks dead on, finish is brilliant and wood selection/grain orientation is perfect. I see a calendar page in a few of those pens...the pics are great too.
You might need to start giving lessons :notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

Dave:)

nelsone

New User
Ed
They all look great Alex! Man you are really cranking them out. I think this one is my favorite despite the flaws. I really like the direction you went with it! Keep experimenting!

AlexL

New User
Alex Lesniak
WOW Alex you ROCK!!!!! Those are outstanding pens, your fit looks dead on, finish is brilliant and wood selection/grain orientation is perfect. I see a calendar page in a few of those pens...the pics are great too.
You might need to start giving lessons :notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

thanks dave. almost all of these pens are sold and I need to send them this week so I'll have to turn some more for the calendar:eusa_danc
my dad takes the pictures for me its his camera. hes not satisfied with the lighting and we are still working on that alex

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
Alex, there's some major ROCKIN' going on in Fuquay-Varina!!!
Those are some beautiful pens. Keep on Keepin' On...

AlexL

New User
Alex Lesniak
They all look great Alex! Man you are really cranking them out. I think this one is my favorite despite the flaws. I really like the direction you went with it! Keep experimenting!

Thanks. here is a close up look at the center band and filler

Cocobolo_slimline_Custom_.jpg

The band is glued to the lower barrel but doesn't fit well to the upper I also think the band should be a little narrower alex

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Alex, I like to do my CB attached to the top barrel. I am not saying that is right, but it seems look better IMO.

Copy_of_Pens_416.jpg

By doing it that way it gives you the flexibilty to make the upper barrel a little larger. That enhances the custom aspect of the pen. Above is a custom Euro. This is the only way I like to turn them. It gets rid of some of the metal (after all the pens are about the wood) and keeps you from having to deal with the tempermental CB tenon fitting.

Keep it up Grasshopper, you're turning into a very fine pen turner. Have you posted any of your work on the IAP http://www.penturners.org/ I am sure they would appreciate such fine work. It's also a great place for tips and tutorials. Granted it's not a friendly as this site, but it's a wealth of info and mostly a bunch of good folks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors