Looking to buy Grizzly G9041 table saw. Anyone have any input on this?

RossG33

New User
Ross
As the title says, I'm in the market for a new tablesaw. I'm looking at Grizzly models. I know the G1023 has a pretty good rep overall, but they are on backorder until lord knows when. I've also been looking at the new G9041 but there are no reviews on the site and a quick search on the internet isn't much more help.

Does anyone have experience with this model or know anything about it outside of what the website says?

Any input is much appreciated!!

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Fence looks the same as my Harvey C-300. Worked fine after a couple simple mods.
Look at the parts diagram of the trunnion to get an idea how it was built.

Do you mean G0941? I think most of these are built by Harvey. Almost confusing why Griz has so many very similar models. You can look at the parts diagrams to see what trunnion each use. Some are beefier than others, some V-belt, some flat belt. Some pivot, some sliding dovetail. Some differences in blade to front edge. Handy if LeeCraft has a phenolic insert that fits. Baring a few folks who had initial defects, hard to find a really unhappy Griz owner. Of course, there is the argument in favor of SawStop. Don't forget Laguna, Baliegh, Powermatic, and if 5 HP, Oliver. Not that impressed with the Jet. Can't say why.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
No experience with Grizzly table saws. There is an interesting youtube where a guy goes through in great detail why he wishes he purchased a SawStop instead of a Grizzly. But, as you know, a SawStop is significantly more (roughly 1000 more). His arguments are not the protective system, it is a lot of other little things. But less than $2000 for a new 3hp saw seems like a good deal. I think the tradeoff is a nice solid saw without a safety system versus a somewhat nicer made saw with a safety system for $1000 more. You could drop down to the 1 3/4 hp (which is what I have and like) or the contractor saw to reduce the difference.

I have always owned 120V saws. I cut 3 inch hardwood when I need to but I often need to use a thin kerf blade and to be sure the blade is clean and in good condition for deeper cuts. I consider this to be completely acceptable given the price difference in the saws and the ability to not run 220V power to my shop.

The Grizzly seems like a saw that could last you for a lifetime but you will need to be careful (as I still need to be with my SawStop).

RossG33

New User
Ross
Fence looks the same as my Harvey C-300. Worked fine after a couple simple mods.
Look at the parts diagram of the trunnion to get an idea how it was built.

Do you mean G0941? I think most of these are built by Harvey. Almost confusing why Griz has so many very similar models. You can look at the parts diagrams to see what trunnion each use. Some are beefier than others, some V-belt, some flat belt. Some pivot, some sliding dovetail. Some differences in blade to front edge. Handy if LeeCraft has a phenolic insert that fits. Baring a few folks who had initial defects, hard to find a really unhappy Griz owner. Of course, there is the argument in favor of SawStop. Don't forget Laguna, Baliegh, Powermatic, and if 5 HP, Oliver. Not that impressed with the Jet. Can't say why.
Oh ya the G0941! no wonder I didn't find anything on google. I did look up the correct model number but only saw one reddit post. Are you able to provide any insight into what to look for with trunions? only thing I saw was they're cast iron. This is my first big purchase for my workshop (been using a cheapo contractor saw up until now).

ShortRound84

New User
ShortRound
I've had this model for a few years and its generally performed well. A few things I don't like:

1. The rip fence can move unless you really crank down on the handle or add some skid tape (which was my solution).

2. The Unisaw style rip fence is really hard to make jigs for as opposed to the symmetrical style. There's just not a lot of clamping surface for auxiliary fences etc. The Peach Tree Woodworking Uni-T fence should work to help with this but I haven't gotten around to buying it.

3. The dust collection sucks. I tore our the internal dust baffles and added a sloped floor to direct the saw dust to the dust port. I also enlarged the dust port to 5" to get better flow. Also the blade guard will collect dust but you need to hook it up to a dust extractor (which has more "suck" than a dust collector) for it to work. I typically use it when ripping a bunch of mdf sheets or plywood.

The dual voltage is nice, especially for resale value. Looking to upgrade to a used SawStop PCS or Industrial next.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
USED PCS? Dream on :)

Converted my 4 inch port to 6 inch. I guess I have to make a dust port for the guard. It wil be 2 1/2.
My fence works just fine. I don't use the aluminum extrusion, but bolted a bit of MDF on the side and top of the steel beam. I did not add a right side board. My thought on fence riding jigs is to put a T-Track on the top ( for guides etc) and use it as the alignment for fence riding jigs. I'll see as I get to that. All new so much to figure out.

How well the cam clamps to the front rail depends a little on how you set up the "squareness" guides. It is a balancing act to get the fence square and just the right lever force.

If you look at the trunnions of several saws, you wil see how heavy they seem. ( actually tool weight I consider a valid spec) . If you can see actual photos to see how well the racks and pinions are machined, that could be a hint. One place they scrimp is motor quality. You are not going to get a Leeson in a $1500 saw. One place Harvey scrimped on my C-300 is the finish of the top. It was more like 40 grit. Nice and flat, but really rough. A few minutes with a block and some paper, it took the top edges off so it may not look as smooth as a higher priced, but is just as slick. Being anal about such things, I honed it as flat as I could. One back corner was a couple thou high so it did not match to the wing perfectly. It does now.

bphaynes

Parker
Corporate Member
I lucked out and found a used sawstop PCS with ICS mobile base and floating over arm dust collection for $2k last week. I had been looking at the Harvey due to tvrgeek’s recommendation but I couldn’t pass this up. It was posted on the NC woodworkers facebook page. Just keep an eye out and see if something magically appears and jump on it.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Good move.
I hate the advertising on FACEBOOK. I have had my account hacked twice so I don't use it. Facebook refuses to fix the problem. I know with the issues on e-bay and Craig's list many have moved there, but it is even worse IMHO.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS