Looking for some figured stock

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I want to make the LOML a jewelry box for her birthday, actually I was told I could make that or buy her something much more expensive. I would like to use some curly Maple or Cherry. I want some really good figure because the box will be small so I need maximum impact. Went by the local Raleigh Woodcraft today and didn't find squat, although I did see some beautiful ribbon Sepel(sp), but it is to dark for what wanting. I'd rather not mail order, but I will if it's the only way to get good stock. I like feeling and touching the wood I buy, vs. looking at a picture on the 'puter. I think I know of all the local sources for wood in the triangle area, but if any of ya'll have seen any spectular stock in the common places or can recommend a good mail-order source I would really appreciate it. Dave:smile:

Phillip

New User
Phillip Fuentes
daveo, what about The Hardwood Store, in gibsonville? they've got ok stuff and sometimes figured woods. i've bought curly maple from them before. i'll post again if i can find their address, number, etc.

phil

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I've been there too, it's a great place, but I didn't see much in the way of figured wood. Although, they do have a great selection of regular domestic woods, and a few exotics. But I guess I could give them a call to see if they have anything in their inventory. Has anyone been out to East Wake Hardwoods lately, it's a crap shoot there, but he has all kinds of wood, domestic, exotic and fiqured, again I guess I could call there also. I am thinking of looking at Wall lumbers website later to see what they may have, anyone dealt with them before? Dave:smile:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I haven't been there yet (this time), but I've found some relatively good deals on nice boards there in the past. Plan to check out Klingspore tomorrow. Thanks, Dave:smile:

Big Mike

New User
Mike
I am with Joe, East Wake Hardwoods has an interesting and ever changing inventory of woods. Rodger is a good guy and great to deal with. He had some curly maple earlier in the week but he also had some wonderful curly/quilted bubinga that would make a terrific accent for any light wood. Not cheap though... but hey, if I had your money price would be no object.....:rolf: .

I love boxes so I am looking forward to this project.

Afterthought, if you want some truly spectacular stock, are willing to spend a $100 minimum, Gilmer Woods has the best looking stock on the internet. You get to see it before you purchase it. Not cheap!!!!!!

Last edited:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Thanks ya'll, I found a peice of curly Maple at Woodcraft the other day. Got lucky enough to get there before their selection had already been picked through. But Big Mike, the thought of quilted Bubinga, has my brain gears spinning. I've been out to East Wake Hardwoods and really found them to be a great asset to the area. And their consignment gallery has some spectacular pieces. Everyone must check out the hollow form turned spheres, beautiful and amazing. Dave:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS