Looking for porta-sawmill worker

Status
Not open for further replies.

max_in_graham

New User
Max
You know... sometimes I think I'd loose my head is if wasn't attached...

When I was google-ing and found this wonderful group of sawdust makers, I was actually looking for two things... Some advice on my lumber I had sawn up a coupla of years ago and to hopefully locate someone who would be willing to saw up some timber that the original guy said wasn't worth his time or effort to saw.

What I have... a couple of reasonably small oak logs (10-12" diameter), a cherry tree that was downed because of the drought and I believe termites. There are also a couple of pines, a cedar and some maple that might be able to yield something useful.

There is also a stack of walnut limbs that have some usable lumber in them. Most are 3-4" in diameter and that I could saw on the bandsaw, or possibly better used to make billets for some turner. They're mostly a bit more than I can physically handle by myself... so maybe a helping hand with those is all I need.

The lumber should probably be looked at and determined whether it's worth doing anything with, but being a bit of a goober with WRD, to me, I see a pretty healthy stack of usable lumber that I just hate to think of a nothing but firewood.

If interested, please PM me, or if you know someone that would be willing to cut this smaller stuff, either post here or PM me.

Thanx ever so much, and you guys ROCK!
Max

JohnsonMBrandon

New User
Brandon Johnson
Max,

I don't know of anyone in your area, but I wouldn't attempt to cut the large limbs. You will never be able to keep the lumber straight from the limbs....or at least thats my experience. Only focus on the straight parts of the trunk. You pretty much at the mercy of the guys willing to mill your lumber.

gator

George
Corporate Member
Max -

You may find it easier to find a sawyer if you haul to them. What you describe doesn't seem a big enough supply to cause them to come to you and set up/break down. You also may not find a sawyer to take them if they were yard trees. Sawyers have found too many yard trees with junk in them that ruins blades. They will charge you for busted blades caused by junk buried in the tree.

George

J

jeff...

You know... sometimes I think I'd loose my head is if wasn't attached...

When I was google-ing and found this wonderful group of sawdust makers, I was actually looking for two things... Some advice on my lumber I had sawn up a coupla of years ago and to hopefully locate someone who would be willing to saw up some timber that the original guy said wasn't worth his time or effort to saw.

What I have... a couple of reasonably small oak logs (10-12" diameter), a cherry tree that was downed because of the drought and I believe termites. There are also a couple of pines, a cedar and some maple that might be able to yield something useful.

There is also a stack of walnut limbs that have some usable lumber in them. Most are 3-4" in diameter and that I could saw on the bandsaw, or possibly better used to make billets for some turner. They're mostly a bit more than I can physically handle by myself... so maybe a helping hand with those is all I need.

The lumber should probably be looked at and determined whether it's worth doing anything with, but being a bit of a goober with WRD, to me, I see a pretty healthy stack of usable lumber that I just hate to think of a nothing but firewood.

If interested, please PM me, or if you know someone that would be willing to cut this smaller stuff, either post here or PM me.

Thanx ever so much, and you guys ROCK!
Max

To answer a few of your questions.

* Logs under 12" diameter inside bark small end (DIB) - are really not worth milling - even if the log is straight with very little taper - you'll end up with an 8x8 sometimes a 8x9 cant. This leaves you approx 4 or sometimes 5 good 1x8 boards without pith. Very few sawyers I know will take anything less than 12" DIB and 6' long. They usually charge for a premium if they do cut it. The reason they do is small logs are a pita to cut. Young tress have so much stress it's difficult to saw out good boards and very few people are ever satisfied with the low grade (lots of knots) lumber from smaller diameter logs.

* Branch wood - just stay way from no matter how big it is (it's only good for firewood) - it's been hanging vertical off the truck all those years under it's own weight - just imagine what it'll do when you rip it open. Might work well for building boats - but I doubt it.

Hoped this helped

Thanks and welcome to the site...

max_in_graham

New User
Max
Brother Gator and Jeff...,

Thanks for the insight... <snif>

Obviously, not what I wanted to hear, but the truth is what it is.

OK, so it's really going to be up to me to cut the logs to a manageable length and saw on the Delta 14". I've done it before, so I get to do it again...

(This time I'll wait for the lumber to dry!)

Thanx!

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Depending on the shape and side branches, those walnut limbs might be potential walking sticks. Seal the ends and leave the bark on 'til they dry some, or rough them out with the BS and wrap in brown paper to slow the drying.

Go

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS