Looking for hickory

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnW

New User
John
Looking for some hickory. Daughter has asked me to make a dinning table with a hickory top. Her design is unique and I'm looking forward to the build. I'll be checking Steve Wall and The Hardwood Store, but wanted to see if anyone knows of a source closer to Charlotte.

zdorsch

Zach
Corporate Member
Check with Kyle Edwards in Iron Station. His place is called "The Sawmill". He's fair on price and quality!

Zach

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Just a word of advise... Hickory is murder on HSS/carbide tools. Start out with new or sharpened tooling, expect them to dull quickly and be prepared to replace or have them sharpened.

Jobs that involve hickory always get a uplift to cover the cost of tooling.

The internet is a black hole - nothing can escape it

Philr

New User
Phil Rasmussen
There are several places close Charlotte that have been mentioned. You may also want to check out WoodCraft near Matthews.

Asheville also have a couple of mills along with Gennette Lumber that carry hickory

One note regarding hickory. Someone mentioned it impact on tools but did not mention its impact on people. Hickory is a darn heavy wood. I recommend that my clients stay away from it, especially if they are elderly and/or move a lot.

Phil Rasmussen
The Mountain Woodwokrer
www.mountainwoodworker.com
pmrii@aol.com

JohnW

New User
John
Checked with Kyle E and Rick D. Have bought really nice lumber from both before but they didn't have 5/4 hickory. Had to drive to Steve Wall to get what I needed. Turned out to be a good trip. Spent yesterday rough milling on jointer and plainer, then stickered awaiting final dimensioning. This hickory is straight, flat with very little cupping and no twist. Great service at Steve Wall, and has the exact look that daughter wanted.

Yes, hickory is not the easiest to work with, but my last two projects involved Ipe. So relative to that...:icon_thum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS