Looking for first bandsaw

Status
Not open for further replies.

Herdfan2005

New User
Jason
Hi all, I'm looking for my first bandsaw. Not looking for complete entry level but nothing fancy either. I'd like something I'm not going to want to upgrade in a year from now. Any suggestions? I'm in the Raleigh area. Currently I have a Grizzly TS and Grizzly DC and been happy with both.

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
Grizzly's G0555 is a very good Bandsaw. I have one set up with the riser block. Stop by and give it a test run if you'd like:eusa_danc

zdorsch

Zach
Corporate Member
I have the tried and true Delta/Rockwell 14" that I picked up used earlier this year. It's been great to work with and they are frequently available on Craigslist, FB Marketplace, etc for $100 - $400. My only regret is the resaw capacity and my plan is to add a riser block in the future.

Another option, available on this site (I am in no way endorsing and have no connection with the seller): https://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/classifieds.php?do=viewitem&itemid=2745

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I was going to say that Grizzly has a sale on but somebody beat me to it. Rikon also makes some very good models. A lot of our members have one of the Rikon's and they can be purchased from our great supporter Klingspor.

Ed Fasano

Ed
Senior User
Another 2-cent’s worth.

We recently bought a 14" Rikon 10-326 for the Habitat for Humanity shop (where I volunteer). It was nicely-priced at $899 at Klingspor’s in Winston. It's a very robust machine—powerful and smooth. The versatile (included) fence is also nice. The spring-loaded tool-less guide bearing system is attractive at first glance, but candidly, it's a bit finnicky to use. Once adjusted though, the guides work very well. The like-kind Laguna (at about $100 more) was, in my view, an arguably better saw for use in a shop with a single caring user. However, at the HfH facility, where many somewhat less experienced and sometimes abusive volunteer users are at the helm, the Laguna’s expensive-to-replace ceramic (coated) guides were worrisome. Rikon’s customer service folks are top-notch.

Personally, I have an oddball 25-year-old, French-made Kity bandsaw. It has been an amazing, trouble-free machine. It uses flat tires and an incredibly simple and reliable method of blade tensioning that is perfect for low-tensionTimberwolf blades. It’s been terrific for general use and moderate re-sawing. I’ll be in trouble (and in the market) when it breaks down through. The company is no longer in business. As long as I don’t need parts, I’ll be quite happy.

Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors