Looking for Ebony

Mrfixit71

Board of Directors, Treasurer
Rich
Staff member
Corporate Member
u
I use lots of ebony for making my inlaybandings.
Please let me know where you are finding ebony at $48 per BF and I will go there. Ebony is now retailing for well over $100 a BF and to find an unsplit piece at 5” x 50 will-be near impossible, and carry a premium. World Timber Corp is your best bet. west Penn hardwoods may have something, but you will not get it there for under $300. Matt...

Klingspors in Cary had some 5" wide ebony but it was too short (42-44"), and I didn't ask where it was from. It was $110/bf if I remember correctly.

Matt Furjanic

New User
Matt
Thanks for your response, Mike....

Rich:
May I ask what your son intends to do with such a large piece of ebony?
Anyway, ebony is extremely hard and heavy, but it is brittle, and splits easily. Also, most ebony you will find is probably not dry, and I doubt if you can find such a piece without splits. And when you do dry it, you must do so slowly and carefully, or surely it will crack. I bought lots of ebony from World Timber, but rarely was it dry, nor did they advertise it so.
In order to safely dry it and minimize splits, I would wrap it in newspapers and then wrap it in plastic, and frequently change the newspapers, thereby drying it as slow as possible. Sometimes taking up to a year to dry.
Most of the countries in Africa either do not export it any longer, and the stuff you get these days is streaked with gray or brown areas. All the old growth jet-black stuff seems to be gone now.

Mrfixit71

Rich
Staff member
Corporate Member
Thanks for your response, Mike....

Rich:
May I ask what your son intends to do with such a large piece of ebony?
Anyway, ebony is extremely hard and heavy, but it is brittle, and splits easily. Also, most ebony you will find is probably not dry, and I doubt if you can find such a piece without splits. And when you do dry it, you must do so slowly and carefully, or surely it will crack. I bought lots of ebony from World Timber, but rarely was it dry, nor did they advertise it so.
In order to safely dry it and minimize splits, I would wrap it in newspapers and then wrap it in plastic, and frequently change the newspapers, thereby drying it as slow as possible. Sometimes taking up to a year to dry.
Most of the countries in Africa either do not export it any longer, and the stuff you get these days is streaked with gray or brown areas. All the old growth jet-black stuff seems to be gone now.

It's a commissioned project, a boken for a very high ranking martial arts person, and ebony was specifically requested. It's the first time my son has been asked to do anything with ebony, usually he uses white oak, purpleheart, and he's done one or two with Brazilian cherry. I will pass on the information about how brittle it is, problems with splits, streaks, etc. along with Mike's suggestion of African blackwood and let him take it back to his client. I've never used ebony so wasn't aware of all these issues with it.

That's one of the great things about this site - lots of people with lots of varied experiences that are willing to help and share their knowledge. Thank you and all the others.

Brantnative

Jeff
Corporate Member
Gilmer Wood Company in Portland, OR is a source of West African ebony. They have some larger pieces in their online inventory but not at the length you're looking for. It's about $120/ bd ft though. Might be worth calling them to see if they can get what you need. gilmerwood.com

dino drosas

Dino
Corporate Member
Coremark International, ( coremerkint.com. ) in Weaverville, NC has it. Most likely the best selection ov exotic wood in the USA. If you are ever in this area, you got to see this place!!!

Mrfixit71

Rich
Staff member
Corporate Member
Coremark International, ( coremerkint.com. ) in Weaverville, NC has it. Most likely the best selection ov exotic wood in the USA. If you are ever in this area, you got to see this place!!!

Thanks. I'll pass it along.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS