Looking for donations of hand tools that need restoration to donate

David Turner

David
Corporate Member
I suspect so. Just put a CBN wheel on mine and finally it is a viable tool.
They do have jointers and planers, so I bet the WS and attachment would they would be useful. (Until I talk them into LUX heads :) )

Restoring these tools has taught me a lot on how cheap it can be done. I did not know Stanly made the "Defiant" line. Even cheaper than a Handyman. Fixed frog is just two cast in posts. On the other hand, it is a pleasure to get an early Bailey going.
Is that a yes or no?
I can sell them and donate the money.

demondeacon

Dave
Senior User
I have one or two sets of chisels that I can donate. I will sharpen them for you and for the cause. If you can send me a PM with your address I will mail them tomorrow or Monday.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
PM sent. They do need chisels and decent try squares, marking gauges etc. When I finish this batch, they will probably have a good start on saws and planes.
I do not know what they have in the way of maintenance tools. Wrenches etc.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
WIP
Handles cleaned and "eased" to make them feel right in the hand. BLO/wax
Saws done
Saws ready for sharpening
Saws take a lot more work than even a plane, or some do. I came up with a little easier method of straitening using my iron vise so I could pick leverage points and locate the force better. After jointing, some are going to be easy, a couple are almost total new tooth filing.
Only one Diston still had the faintest of etching. I tried to preserve it a little. The goal is of course good strait cutting users for the school.

Attachments

• 20230408_100408.jpg
    20230408_100408.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 76
  • 20230408_100414.jpg
    20230408_100414.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 78
  • 20230408_100424.jpg
    20230408_100424.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 71

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
I have one or two extra marking gauges that i can donate as I have bought newer versions
Great! I too "upgraded" my gauges. Cheap Chinese clone wheel gauges, but you sharpen them and they are great. Last "upgrade" was learning the router plane mortice marking trick, so I guess you can say, my new router is a marking gauge. The size makes me want to make a gauge with a much longer fence.

Of course, long after I sold my traditional wood gauges, I learned why I could not get them to work, but I like the wheels better anyway.

demondeacon

Dave
Senior User
On my way to the PO. Sending you one set of chisels, two wooden marking gauges, a combination square that I no longer use and an extra tape measure that has a small kink in it. I have some 48 inch parallel clamps and some handsaws that I can donate but I will need to drop them off rather than mail.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Fantastic. If you get to Durham, you can check out their operation. Or, maybe bring them to the picnic.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Quick test of marking knife made from dead sawsall blade. Rumor has it the steel is decent, so I will see if it holds up. If so, virtually free.
No work of art, just a blade test.

Attachments

• 20230408_133617.jpg
    20230408_133617.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 75

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Everything done. Should deliver this week. Most of the panel saws were crosscut, but the back saws are now all rip. On the third try, I got the new teeth cut on the little one, 14 tpi. Can't say any of them are perfect, but got them working and pretty much resolved all the cow and calf issues. All seem to have their tension so only slight flexing got them strait enough. I did not have to hammer any of them. Planes all just fine, but most of the irons are ground past where a hard edge would have been on an early Stanley iron, so they should buy a drawer full of cheap irons.

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
I'm just bumping this thread because I've seen a few folks in the Triangle area who have free tools advertised in the NC Woodworker Marketplace. Bull City Woodshop could use some of that stuff.

I dropped off a box of planes and 18v tools at Scott's place. IIRC, their battery platforms are Ryobi and DeWalt. They could use corded stuff as well.

SabertoothBunny

SabertoothBunny
Corporate Member
I may have a couple of different hand planes that can be donated to the cause, will try to get some pictures for you of them. There was an effort on my part to try and get one of each size but that ended with me having duplicates. Such is life.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have a box of several type planes from a craftsman to a bailey to a bedrock (with a chip in it) that I was going to use to demo the differences in these various Stanley brands. They all need work. Doesn't look like I'm going to get that round tuit for that project.

PM me your address and I'll try to box them up in a flat rate USPS box and ship them to you, unless you want to make a trip to beautiful Floyd County VA. We're right off the Parkway near Tuggles Gap. Mike's place is on the way up hwy 8.

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
I dropped off a few items at Bull City today and was amazed at the transformation it has undergone since I saw it at the shop crawl a while back. Everything is nicely laid out and there are now multiples of most large tools like table saws, drill presses, planers, band saws and the like. There is plenty of room to work on a number of assembly tables.

Kudos to everyone who made that possible.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors