looking for birds eye maple

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidF

New User
David
I need a piece of birds eye maple for the medalian in the back of the bed. 10" square by 5/4 would do the job. Any body know of the best place to get a small piece? turning blank maybe? woodcraft Raleigh? Or any of you want to sell a piece?

What sort of money are we talking here? I will be also using BE for the drawer fronts on the matching side tables (yet to be designed)

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I know the Raleigh Klingspor has some highly figured BE Maple, but I don't know how small of a piece they will sell. I think they will cut the board as long as there is 6' left, so you might be able to get a 2' piece. I don't know if it is 5/4. Another thought would be to check with Nice Figures in Chapel Hill, they should have what you need.
Dave:)

chris99z71

New User
Chris
10" square might be hard. Had you thought about making a 10" square by resawing a 5-6" piece and then gluing it to something else in a bookmatched configuration to get your thickness? If it's a decorative piece, a bookmatched look could be cool.

DavidF

New User
David
DaveO said:
I know the Raleigh Klingspor has some highly figured BE Maple, but I don't know how small of a piece they will sell. I think they will cut the board as long as there is 6' left, so you might be able to get a 2' piece. I don't know if it is 5/4. Another thought would be to check with Nice Figures in Chapel Hill, they should have what you need.
Dave:)

Ah yes, nice figures, I had forgotten about them, thanks for the reminder.

DavidF

New User
David
I would also rather not have a join in it so the width might be a problem. The final dia is 160mm (6" ish)

DavidF

New User
David
chris99z71 said:
10" square might be hard. Had you thought about making a 10" square by resawing a 5-6" piece and then gluing it to something else in a bookmatched configuration to get your thickness? If it's a decorative piece, a bookmatched look could be cool.

I think it really has to be solid because it is to have a rounded edge back and front, but I may get away with less than 10" maybe even 8" I don't want to hold myself to the designed 6" incase I think it looks better an 1" bigger or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS