Looking for Baltic Birch

Status
Not open for further replies.

NOTW

Notw
Senior User
I typically use big box store plywood for making things in the shop but I want to make a crosscut sled so I am looking for a piece of baltic birch plywood around 24" x 36" x 3/4" thick. I would rather not spend $71 for a full sheet of baltic birch from Capital City Lumber. Does anyone know of any place in the Raleigh area that sells smaller pieces of baltic birch or another quality flat plywood that doesn't cost a bunch? Thank you

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Klingspor and that other wood store that doesn't support our website both carry smaller pieces of BB. I'd run by Klingspor in Cary and see what they have in terms of sizes. I think you'll find what you need.

NOTW

Notw
Senior User
perhaps I was too star struck by the wall of wood last time I was there and missed the plywood, i'll give them a call. thanks

photostu

New User
Stuart
Where is the best place to get a 5x5 sheet of proper Baltic Birch? I saw the smaller sheets in Klingspor, did I miss the larger ones?

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have gotten full 5x5 sheets at Klingspor in the past. They may or may not stock them, but can probably order them for you if not.

NOTW

Notw
Senior User
Where is the best place to get a 5x5 sheet of proper Baltic Birch? I saw the smaller sheets in Klingspor, did I miss the larger ones?

I just called Klingspor, they don't have anything the size I need in the smaller pieces but they do sell the 5x5 sheets but are currently out of them.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
for a piece of baltic birch plywood around 24" x 36" x 3/4" thick.

I've gotten some pretty nice 24" x 48" x 3/4" plywood (7 ply) at Home Depot. A nice surprise with few voids for typical BORG plywood.

It'd be fine for a crosscut sled.

NOTW

Notw
Senior User

I've gotten some pretty nice 24" x 48" x 3/4" plywood (7 ply) at Home Depot. A nice surprise with few voids for typical BORG plywood.

It'd be fine for a crosscut sled.

I might have to check their smaller pieces, I bought a full sheet of their mid grade stuff last week that looked pretty flat on the stack but once I got it home I have discovered it is anything but flat :mad:

farmerbw

Brian
Corporate Member
I've gotten full 5x5 sheets of BB in the past from Wurth lumber in Raleighwood for about what stores where selling partial sheets for. Granted that was several years ago so no idea what pricing is like now. I've also gotten a full sheet from Klingspor's old location. Skymaster plugged another lumber supplier in the Raleighwood area in a thread a while back, but I don't remember the name of it. Maybe he'll jump in or I'll find the old thread.. Good hunting..

B.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Well, it won't be flat unless it's on a flat surface. Plywood is not rigid and without any flex even at 3/4" t so you may be asking it to be what it's not. Smaller pieces cut from you "funky" sheet may be flat or unnoticeable to your well trained eye!

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
The Hardwood Store in Gibsonville. I think they deliver for a fee. Wurth also has it, but you have to go in the AM. week days only. The last 1/2" birch I bought from HD was surprisingly flat. Exactly what size and thickness are you looking for? Check with "Skymastyer" as he may have a partial sheet in his shop.

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
consider MDF for your sled! That's what I used and it's been going strong, flat,, and spot on for around 3 years now!

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
One more suggestion is Capital City Lumber. They sell BB in 5x5 sheets. You will pay a bit more but if you need it what is $2-$3 more per sheet.

mpholway

Board of Directors, Events Director
Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member
Per Mike's email, I have a number of MDF table tops in a storage unit here in Durham that might work and I would be glad to give you one. Please reach out to me via private message if you are interested.
Regards,
Matt

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Don't shoot me down in flames, but have you considered melamine? Prefinished, and slick on both sides. Just be sure to "break" edges as they are SHARPE! DAMHIK For runner, Agrisupply stocks a 10' length of UMW for around $15. It's 3/4 wide, and 3/8 thick. Easily ripped to width on table saw.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS