Looking for a Workmate collectors website

Status
Not open for further replies.

fulldec

Don
Corporate Member
I just found an old Workmate 225 that had been thrown out. It is one where both clamp screws are connected by a belt so that one hand can operate both screws.

The top needs replacing, no problem, and I have found a supplier for most of the few bits I need to make it serviceable again. The belt is listed as obsolete and not available.

In years past, I recall checking out a website for collectors of Workmates, going back to the beginning. I figure they would know of a possible replacement/substitute. My Google ninja skills have failed to find that site.

Here is my question. Would anyone here know of such an organization/website?

Thanks much,

Don

Mark Gottesman

New User
Mark
Post up a photo and measurements of the belt and the mechanism. Maybe there is an alternative hiding out there somewhere.

DIYGUY

New User
Mark
There is a Black and Decker Parts/Repair store on Capital Boulevard in Raleigh. I have sourced several parts for my two workmates from there over the years. Best of luck ...

cyclopentadiene

Update your profile with your name
User
Glad to see someone Elmo's that likes these. I have a pair from the 1980's all metal. I use them all the time as sawhorses. They work great to break down long pieces with a skill saw before taking it into the shop. This keeps the dust outside.

fulldec

Don
Corporate Member
The belt is type of plastic, possibly nylon, approx. 3/64" thick, 13/64" wide, and at least 42 1/2" long (I don't know if I have all the pieces). The holes are 5/32" dia. and about 3/8" apart.

It is brittle now and breaks easily. It is a simple loop that connects sprockets on each of the two clamp screws (one pictured below). If I can figure out how to attach a pdf file, I can show the exploded parts view.

Don

IMG_4413.jpgIMG_4414.jpg

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Looks like they patterned the belt and gears off the old pin-feed paper tear-offs. 'memba them???? The time they came onto the market would have coincided with the heavy use of that style of printer.

Len

New User
Len
I replaced one of those some time back using a 13in diameter bicycle inner-tube. Cut the tube around the circumfrance so you end up with a circular strip about 3/8in wide. You should be able to get 2 or 3 from one tube. Stretch and put in place on the pulleys. You can punch holes if you really want to, but I didn't find it necessary.

fulldec

Don
Corporate Member
I replaced one of those some time back using a 13in diameter bicycle inner-tube. Cut the tube around the circumfrance so you end up with a circular strip about 3/8in wide. You should be able to get 2 or 3 from one tube. Stretch and put in place on the pulleys. You can punch holes if you really want to, but I didn't find it necessary.

That's a great idea. I'll give that a try. From what I have found online, I don't think I'll be able to source a replacement belt, at least cheaply. This is not a restoration job, just trying to make it serviceable.

Let me ask you, doesn't having the two jaw screws ganged together keep you from angling the jaws in order to clamp surfaces that are not parallel?

I have Workmate 400 that doesn't use a belt tying the two screws together and being able to angle the jaws sometimes is useful.

Don

Len

New User
Len
It was so long ago, I don't remember for sure but I believe you're correct. With the belt in place both screws turn at the same rate, and the jaws stay parallel. If I'm remembering right, that was a big part of why I got rid of the 250 and got an early (blue, with the bottom shelf) 400 instead. It had independent cranks, so the jaws could be offset.

And it might have been a 14in diameter tire, but I'm pretty sure it was 13in. Like I said, it was a lonngggg time ago.

fulldec

Don
Corporate Member
I think I'll put it together without the belt and see if I like how it works.

Thanks for everyone's help. I like this forum.

Don

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I think I'll put it together without the belt and see if I like how it works.

Thanks for everyone's help. I like this forum.

Don
Don,
We are glad you like the forum and this is one of the reasons we are here! (To help people)
Please stay engaged, show us what you are working on (we love pictures!!) and by all means tell anyone and everyone about us!

Skymaster

New User
Jack
I have a work mate that B&D cant even find records of them making it. :}:} If not version one very very close to it. independent handles no platform between legs, just top pcs and 2 handles :D:):)

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have a work mate that B&D cant even find records of them making it. :}:} If not version one very very close to it. independent handles no platform between legs, just top pcs and 2 handles :D:):)
No pictures?
Not sure it exists! :eek:

fulldec

Don
Corporate Member
The belt seems to still be available here:

http://www.ereplacementparts.com/black-and-decker-wm425-type-workmate-parts-c-4167_4340_4347.html

Provided that it is the same sprocket belt as yours, but then how many different sprocket belts was B&D likely to use on Workmates, so it seems like a probable replacement. The model may be different, but they seem to be the same part number.

Thanks much! That is the same outfit I am ordering the other parts from. How strange that the same part is listed as obsolete and not longer available on a sister model? I had poked around, looking at a variety of WM225 Types, didn't think to look at the 400 series. I bet you are correct and it is the same belt. For $5, I'll order it and give it a try.

Also, where are my manners? Here is a pic of my find. It is mostly the original grey paint, the original particle board top is missing, to be replaced with a solid or plywood jaws. There are a few minor bits missing, which are readily available. It was obviously used as a base for spray painting. The top frame is coated with a variety of colors (which covered up the detailed model and type info).

I'll post when I get it refurbished, thanks again all.

Don

Attachments

• IMG_4415.jpg
    IMG_4415.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 266

fulldec

Don
Corporate Member
Just to continue my little saga. I checked the part numbers for the two Workmates. They are the same main part number but one is a -00 the other is a -01. I went out and measured the width between the drive screws on the WM225 and my WM400 (which does not use a belt, but is likely the same size as the belted WM425). The WM400 is 1 inch wider. So it appears that they are probably not the same belt.

I am back to rebuilding it without a belt and seeing if I like it. I probably will be fine with that, but if not, I can try the suggested route of cutting up a inner tube.

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
Just to continue my little saga. I checked the part numbers for the two Workmates. They are the same main part number but one is a -00 the other is a -01. I went out and measured the width between the drive screws on the WM225 and my WM400 (which does not use a belt, but is likely the same size as the belted WM425). The WM400 is 1 inch wider. So it appears that they are probably not the same belt.

I am back to rebuilding it without a belt and seeing if I like it. I probably will be fine with that, but if not, I can try the suggested route of cutting up a inner tube.

Are the cogs precisely the same diameter, because if the cogs on the 2xx series are just a bit larger in diameter then the belt length may very well be the same? Often the minor digits of a part code (e.g. -00, -01) simply denote very minor differences or a change in the source supplier, usually the major part number will differ if there is a significant difference between parts, and I would think a difference in length to be worthy of a new part number. Ultimately, buying the part may be the only way to know for certain, it is just a question of whether it us worth the $5 gamble to you, and only you can be the judge of that -- it is easy for me to say as it is not my money. :)

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Or...
If it is longer or shorter can you "stitch" them together or ???

I didn't even know B&D made one like that - part of my confusion with the veritas vise - I am more attuned to the moxon style where the screws are independent...

Both have their attraction...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS