Looking for a pry lever dolly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
These are used to move equipment. I need one, actually just part of one to make the new Outreach lathe mover. Most of these come with two steel wheels - I do not need the wheels as I will be using a larger wheel to navigate over trailer ramps and other bumps.

I am hoping to find an old wooden one with a heavy duty steel tongue

Any help would be appreciated by myself and the entire Outreach team

Thanks in advance

farmerbw

Brian
Corporate Member
I think that furniture movers refer to them as J Bars, same concept and design but a little less industrial. Back when I worked at that High Point furniture market the older guys around the show rooms used to refer to these and similar dollies as bellums(sp?) or something, but no luck finding that reference in a quick search. Here's a couple I came across though.

Metal and Steel versions with wooden handles and some Amazon Smile offerings with steel and wooden handles.... HTH.

Update: would one of these work since you're going to swap out with rubber tires anyway? or is it too bulky?

B.

Last edited:

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member

I should have been clearer. A metal handle model will be to hard to modify. I was hoping somebody might have an old wood one sitting gathering dust. I used to see them all the time in the corner of warehouses - they sadly probably got tossed

Do you have any specs on dimensions i.e., tongue, handle, axle OD?

I will be mounting an 8" fixed caster wheel under the tongue/handle. I can make a new handle. I am thinking the tongue would need to be 4 " min width and about 10 inches long with a 22 degree bend in the middle, probably 3/8 to 1/2"thick steel

I think that furniture movers refer to them as J Bars, same concept and design but a little less industrial. Back when I worked at that High Point furniture market the older guys around the show rooms used to refer to these and similar dollies as bellums(sp?) or something, but no luck finding that reference in a quick search. Here's a couple I came across though.

Metal and Steel versions with wooden handles and some Amazon Smile offerings with steel and wooden handles.... HTH.

Update: would one of these work since you're going to swap out with rubber tires anyway? or is it too bulky?

B.

The trailer dolly was my first attempt but the wide wheel base limits the steering as they will hit the lathe stand feet

JohnnyR

John
Corporate Member
How about a removable tongue on the base to use a trailer dolly. That would allow no protrusions from the base when set up for use.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
How about a removable tongue on the base to use a trailer dolly. That would allow no protrusions from the base when set up for use.

John. Good idea I will cobble something together to test your idea. Thsnks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors