Looking for a hand saw

Claus

Claus
User
I’ve recently started dipping into hand tool work and I’m discovering the pleasure of using a quality, finely tuned hand saw. I have a new L-N dovetail saw and the other, believe it or not is my very large old “misery whip“ disston crosscut lumber saw (one man, perforated lance tooth).

So now I’m looking for an older crosscut saw to use for general utility cuts in my shop (2x stock, rough resizing, pre table saw trimming, etc). I’d love to have one that’s usable as is, sharp and set up, and would be willing to pay extra for that but I will consider a saw that needs work. But I don’t want a complete restoration project. In short a working tool and not a wall hanger.

Does anyone have something like that they’d part with? Please let me know. I’m in upstate SC and would love a “distanced face-to-face” transaction but I’m willing to do some travel.

thanks,
—Claus

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
If you don't mind getting out I'd imagine you can find exactly what you're looking for within a 10 mile radius of your house. Saws and braces are literally everywhere. And usually very cheap.... Usually in the $5-10 range. I went through that phase for a while and still pick them up from time to time.

Look for bends, kinks or broken handles. A gentle curve is not a bend and can be straightened with pressure and/or boiling water.

I'd suggest going to the Disstonian Institute website and do a little research.

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
And you'll see at least a dozen crosscut saws for every rip saw you see. If you see a decent rip and the price is good pick it up.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
I would recommend you look for two. One for crosscut and one for rip. (Sorry, but mine are going to stay with me for a little while longer.) Although the crosscut will probably see most use, the rip is really an advantage when cutting with the grain, especially if you want to re-saw a thick board into thinner ones. Re-toothing a crosscut into a rip isn't near as hard as doing the opposite.

I would stay away from the triple-grind tooth configuration that comes on the modern saws (i.e Stanley Fat Max, Kobalt, etc). It is a general use profile, but does neither cross-cut nor rip well IMHO.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Give Chris Black a shout.
I actually like the new saws with the Japanese shape tooth but in a European push. Half and half, if I use a European or Japanese saw. Yea, I have a couple old real Distons. My rip is a new flat blade Diston, not the original taper ground.

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Like Chris said, you will probably have great luck looking around in your area. A few of my trips in and around that area i have found a few good finds. If you come up dry I have a few saws that. Could part with, however, we would have to either do a pony express or shipping

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Claus,
Let me take a look.
I just sold a couple, but I think I have one or two restoration-able saws, but there might be one good one - I will PM my phone number and we can talk

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors