Looking For A Glass Shelving Fabricator For Our Projects

Status
Not open for further replies.

craftbeerguy

Craft Beer Guy
User
Afternoon All,

Does anyone have a source that will cut and polish 3/8" non-tempered glass shelving?

I'm in the Lake Norman area and have received quotes that are crazy high. Need approximately 23"L x 8"D or 9"D. About nine in quantity. Been quoted $50-$85 per shelf.

Thanks

Brantnative

Jeff
Corporate Member
I've gotten 1/4" non-tempered glass shelves from Binswanger in Charlotte. About 10" x 54". Can't remember the price but it wasn't cheap. Polishing the edges adds even more. I think the cheapest way was with a ground edge.

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
I don't have a source but I am interested in point.

Won't the non-tempered glass be less stronger than tempered glass?

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
As a commercial contractor, I use a lot of glass. Around $60 seems like the right price point, if you needed 50 pieces you could get that down. The cost is the labor.

Jim M.

Woody
Corporate Member
Could you do 8" W x 24"L x 3/8" in tempered glass? If so Home Depot has them for $20

cyclopentadiene

Update your profile with your name
User
Almost any glass supply company can cut to any dimension. Why do you not want tempered? It is much safer in the event that you have an accident.

craftbeerguy

Craft Beer Guy
User
Almost any glass supply company can cut to any dimension. Why do you not want tempered? It is much safer in the event that you have an accident.

It's a back bar in a restaurant in 3 divided sections. The cabinet is placed between two antique columns and the center section needed to house a specific item. The other 2 sections were divided in half. That created 2 non-standard measurements. The center could indeed take a 24" wide piece.

The price per sheet is the issue so the additional safety found in tempered is the owner's choice. Also, according to every fabricator I spoke to, the tempered is not necessary. Had I not received a lowball quote initially, this topic would not come up. Thanks all for your replies.

Robb Parker

New User
Robb
I use Freedom Glass in Mooresville. Mostly clear and Art glass for cabinet doors. Have gotten some polished in the past. Never felt gouged. Gary's a decent guy. should get a real number from him.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
have received quotes that are crazy high.

Had I not received a lowball quote initially, this topic would not come up

Why don't you go with the lowball quote? Is it for non-tempered or tempered? BTW, tempered glass can't be cut by a local glass shop because it'll shatter so the vendor has to order it from the manufacturer who'll do the annealing/tempering after the glass is cut.

Curious. Why did the glass folks tell you that tempered glass wasn't necessary for this application? There could be a safety/liability issue for the customer without it.

craftbeerguy

Craft Beer Guy
User
Why don't you go with the lowball quote? Is it for non-tempered or tempered? BTW, tempered glass can't be cut by a local glass shop because it'll shatter so the vendor has to order it from the manufacturer who'll do the annealing/tempering after the glass is cut.

Curious. Why did the glass folks tell you that tempered glass wasn't necessary for this application? There could be a safety/liability issue for the customer without it.

Because the lowball quote became $20.00 per shelf higher when it was time to order. My guess is the guy suddenly secured some work. Now he's on par with everyone else. Sorry, I didn't make that clear- no pun intended.

Good info about the tempered glass. I'm not sure why no one insisted on tempered glass. Maybe they were looking for a quick turnaround? I provided the maximum weight per shelf based on the spans to the customer. I see myself, without a law degree, being no more liable than Delta replacing lost fingers. But that's another topic.

Freedom Glass in Mooresville was great BTW.

In an attempt to learn or reinforce something out of this, I'm glad I told my customer this was a pass through cost and did not include it in the original quote. If anyone is doing commission projects, glass isn't cheap. Thanks all for your suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS