Looking for a decent price on formica

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vanilla Gorilla

New User
Marco Principio
I was shopping at the borg for some formica to laminate some shop surfaces with, and it was going for $44 for an 8'X4' sheet. Is there any place in the raleigh/durham area wherew I can get it for cheaper/smaller quantities? That's an obscene price IMHO for a few mils thick of plastic. Any info would be appreciated

Monty

New User
Monty
I actually just bought a sheet yesterday. I looked at the stack at Lowes and found a piece that had about a 3" chip out of one side... got it for 1/2 price. If you don't really need a full sheet, you might take a look and see if you can find a damaged piece that suits your needs.

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
Insomniac is the master of LOWES bargains. Definitely look for damage then find the department mananger and cut a deal. Half price is pretty common for small damage like Insomniac found. I got a pice recently for $11 that had a larger split. It still gave me enoug for 2 sides of a router table and an extension for the TS.

sapwood

New User
Roger
Marco, if you looking for odds and ends pieces at great prices try the Raleigh Habitat for Humanity Reuse Center. Be sure to check operating hours before visiting because they are a bit irregular. It's hard to visit the place without buying something, the prices are good, and they have quite a variety of "reuse" stuff.

Sapwood

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Ditto on what Steve and Insomniac said. Depending on what amount you need, I can give you some if you don't mind the colors. A bit on the "wild side" I would say. A little hot pink, some tie dye grey, and a bit of butcher block all left over from projects for friends.

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
insomniac said:
I actually just bought a sheet yesterday. I looked at the stack at Lowes and found a piece that had about a 3" chip out of one side... got it for 1/2 price. If you don't really need a full sheet, you might take a look and see if you can find a damaged piece that suits your needs.

Hey Insom, you forgot to mention the part about you having copies of the store video for sale that shows you busting that 3" chip off of that Formica.:lol: Seriously, great tip on saving on saving $$ by finding damaged goods at the store.

D L

Monty

New User
Monty
Naw, the cops wouldn't give the tape to me... said something like "tell it to the judge..." ?!?!? :oops:

Vanilla Gorilla

New User
Marco Principio
They have cameras in Lowes?!?!

I guess that rules out me making my own "scratch and dent model". What kinds of stuff do they have at the habitat for humanity place? Is it mostly construction leftovers or what? Sounds like it might be useful either which way as I am also doing tons of work on my house

sapwood

New User
Roger
The reuse center has a little bit of everything and a lot of some things:lol:

Used appliances, doors, windows, light fixtures, odds and ends electrical stuff, all sorts of cabinets, tiles, flooring, etc. Of course, some of it is junk, but there are many treasures. And, of course, profits from sales go to Habitat for Humanity. The two for one special :mrgreen:

Sapwood

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
Marco, if you have a custom cabinet shop in your area they may have cut off pieces you can get cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors