looking at getting a new jigsaw advice

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
I have been looking at updating some of my tools one being the jigsaw. I have a Bosch 1531VS I had others but this one is a replacement to my old Bosch that someone stole. TBH it is not as good as the old one. That said, what is everyone using and is there a better one out there, I am kinda out of the loop on this, curious

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
I have 3 jigsaws - DeWalt, a newer Bosch and an older Bosch (don’t ask I got both Bosch’s at estate sales $40 and $20).

The older has the long screwdriver type tightening, but it is the one I use the most.

Had to start from scratch I would buy a Bosch barrel grip. Cordless, but I don’t thin Bosch has one.

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have the Bosch JS572E, yes, it can be expensive but I really like it!

• Thanks
Reactions: Oka

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
I have a Bosh with a D handle. My hands are to small for those barrel grips. Mine is close to 20 years old I think.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I have an older barrel grip Bosch. I like it and have no plans to get another corded jigsaw. But if I buy another, it will be cordless. With lithium ion batteries, cordless tools have become surprisingly powerful. I use my cordless Skil circular saw much more than my Milwaukee corded, for instance. I almost never use a corded drill any more. I have a 12V Bosch on my wish list but if I did not have the corded saw and 12V batteries already, I would get the 18V. I think it is more of an all around tool. Bosch has a 18V barrel grip. Not sure if I would get it or the top handle but the 12V I am considering is barrel grip.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Not a lot of real advice on 'new' tools, as I don't have many; but here's my experience.
I have both the barrel and top handle Bosch - both older versions I picked up used. I love both of them but prefer top handle in general - even though hands are 'normal' sized, neither small nor large. One has the long screw driver blade change, bit of a PITA, but you won't find that in anything new.
In a bundle of inexpensive (a sale of recon) Ryobi cordless tools, I bought a One+ (18V) jigsaw that handles really well. I have only used on deck work, but in general it felt as powerful and 'accurate' as my corded Bosch tools. I was actually impressed - of the whole Ryobi set I purchased, this and the impact driver are the best of the bunch (circ saw, recip saw, hammer drill, impact driver, and jigsaw). It is not a premium model by any means (it's a Ryobi) but I guess any decent jigsaw with a blade support/guide (that little bearing/roller just above the surface) will meet my needs. I rarely make 'a critical cut' with a jigsaw.
I would like to win the lottery and get a Festool if they handle dust (chip) collection. Getting a stream of wood chips in my face is my least favorite part of using a jigsaw; gotta position your face just right to get this spray of chips, but for some reason that often seems to be my best view of the cut! Good reminder to wear glasses.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
I have the old Bosch barrel handle. It is better than the Sears I had, but for some reason, we never got along. I don't use it much, so am thinking about going for a cordless. Probably Makita. Might use it more if I could just grab it.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
For years I used the Bosch 1531 but always found the blade holder to be a bit finicky. I shifted to a German made Metabo and it is much better. I think the model is STEB

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS