Lookikng for scroll saw folks

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Well, it ain't me. I can barely use my bandsaw :saw: and if you look at my album, you'll see that I can't even drive a screw straight.

Come on people fess up, I know some of you at least own a scroll saw
cskipper said:
Who all does scroll saw stuff?

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Well, I want to, but I am just learning. I've got a subscription to Scrollworks magazine, which provides a lot of inspiration. I am mostly interested in Intarsia, I really have a love for the different colors that wood can come in, some call it a Purpleheart addiction, but I think of it as a good friendship. It is such a cool color, that changes with time like Cherry, how can you go wrong. Hope to gain some experience from others around here. Dave:)

R

rickc

I've done a little bit with the scroll saw. Couple examples in my gallery. Right now I am working on a set of the "curvy clocks" seen in the Meisal catalog. Experimenting with Olson spiral cut blades. Sort of interesting. Wider kerf, but it is kind of nice not having to worry about making small radius turns. Almost found it easier if I did NOT think about what I was doing and just followed the line! Anyway, probably more information than you wanted.

clowman

Clay Lowman
Corporate Member
I've thought about it a whole lot. Got some magazines, but every time I get ready to get a SS, I always stand in front of it, and say.. "Now.. would I use this more than a new _______" (insert tool here). Sadly, I still haven't gotten a SS.. Doesn't mean I don't wanna though

-clay

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Clay, it's OK, you will find a need for that scrollsaw and get it some day. Just keep thinking "I am good and I deserve a new tool" Positive affirmation is the way to go. You can talk yourself in to anything. Group hug anyone????????

Dave:)

cskipper

Cathy
Thanks for all the responses. I have taken a class on intarsia at the Woodcraft store in Greenville SC. It really made everything I've read make sens (I finally understand how to use saw dust and glue to fill gaps!). When I finish my project I'll post the picture. I can relate to the "buy this or that" - I want to buy a better saw - but then, there is that bigger lathe...

H

hilbillee

Hi All,

I am new to the group and am a beginner scroll sawer. I live in Canton in Haywood Co., at the foot of Cold Mountain. I have a Dremel 18 inch scroll saw. I enjoy making things on the scroll saw and am making several of my christmas presents this year on it. Is there anyone near me that has a scroll saw?
Phil

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Welcome Hilbillee!!! You are in such a beautiful area of the state right now, I'm jealous. I am sure there are many members near your area with a scroll saw. If you are near Hickory, Woodguy has a Hawk, that thing is amazing you can balance a nickle on edge while it's running and you barely hear it at all. Dave:)

cskipper

Cathy
Welcome Hilibbee! Glad to have another scroller among us. On the home page of this site there is a link to a member map we are trying to get every body signed up on. If we can prod enough folks to put themselves on it it will give us way to know where folks live. I am in Forest City and have a Delta. We all covet Woodguy's tools! There are a few folks that may be closer to you, but I don't know if the scroll. What kind of things do you make? I do some one and 3-D Christmas ornaments, candlesticks, baskets and misc. stuff. I've got a photo album in the gallery. You are welcome to request an album of your own. I know they are working on a "how to navigate this site" kind of forum, but not sure if it's up yet. I'll be glad to help you any way I can. Hang around this site. This is a really exceptional group of folks and I'm sure you'll learn stuff and I KNOW you'll enjoy yourself!

Bill Julson

New User
Update your profile with your name
"Is there anyone near me that has a scroll saw?"

Great to have you onboard! I live outside of Canton off of Old Clyde Rd, so we are close. I just came out of the closet myself, so welcome to the group.

I have a Delta 16" saw, but have not done much with it, although it is a lot of fun to use. You have to take a look at the gallery photo's, but especially Cathy's (C.S. Skipper)work. Phenomenal!! As I have repeatedly stated in previous messages, "I feel so unesscessary! Definately an inspiration, fer sure.
Matter of fact, I am a "woodshop Putz" but have fun doing it and am in the running for lead "woodwacker", although the lead woodwacker has stated that he makes "precision firewood". Mine is just plain old firewood so have a ways to go.:icon_thum Great place to learn and everyone is really helpfull!

Welcome to the group.

scoobyJ

New User
SJ
Hey there from Four Oaks...I'm a scroller. I started out with an old 2 speed dremel as my first saw....then I found a delta 570 on the clearance shelf at Lowes one day and used it for years. Last summer I managed to save all my pennies and got a 26" Hawk. I love my new saw. I still have both my old ones. The old dremel I use with the sanding bands and the delta is set up to cut alot of puzzles and banks that I cut. Intarsia is one of my favorites, but I love cutting portraits and puzzles. Hopefully this weekend I can have some pictures up.

Sure is great to find some scrollers from my neck of the woods.

SJ

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Scooby, you suck a Hawk is the cat's meow. You could have taken those saved pennies and balanced them on the table while running the saw. I saw one at the shop shrine...Woodguy's shop, and it was unbelievable how smooth they run.
Dave:)

Richgod

New User
Richard
I've been scrolling for about 15 years. Mostly 2D , 3D and compound ornaments. I've not done any really big 'constructions', mostly due to lack of space to put anything else!

I have a Delta 20" Variable Speed and a Hegner M22v. I had two of the Delta's, but gave one of them to a friend a year ago. It cuts OK, but it has a LOT of vibration. The Hegner is very smooth cutting. A real dream to use!

The most used tool (after scrolling) is my (old) Ryobi thickness sander. It is so much like a Performax, I think they might have been made by the same folks.

Anyone cruising the Raleigh area is welcome to stop in and chat!

Richard

cskipper

Cathy
It's cool to have all you other scrollers on board! I have a Delta 570 and want the new Hawk (of course, I wouldn't refuse a Hegner). I've done 3-d ornaments and candlesticks on it but the vibration makes it difficult.
Glad to meet you all.

scoobyJ

New User
SJ
Hey Cathy,

I'm not sure if this will help or not, but I made a bench from an LVL (basically it's a heavy duty laminated wood beam used in residential construction), for my Delta. I bolted the saw to it and it doesnt vibrate.

SJ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS