Long Overdue Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluthart

New User
Brian
I haven't been on NCWW in quite a while, and wanted to give the fine folks on here a quick update. Some of you may have heard the news through Facebook, but on June 7th, my 3 year old (now 4) boy was burned in an accident involving an explosion from a gel fuel table candle. After being airlifted to the Chapel Hill Burn Hospital, skin grafting and a two week hospital stay, he was back home and recovering. He suffered 2nd and 3rd degree burns on his right leg and hand, but has been a real trooper and is healing well. I took 12 weeks off of work to be home with him and my family, and quickly learned even more about how wonderfully generous the police and fire communities are. Even more remarkable were the kind words and prayers from perfect strangers. He had his first of at least 4 plastic surgeries Oct 30th and is again recovering very well. I have been back to work since Labor Day and things are getting back to normal. I have even had the occasion to get in my shop a little and make some dust. I have learned more about strength and courage from my little boy than I ever dreamed of. I just figured I would share this with my woodworking family. Thanks for reading.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Oh my. I am so glad to hear your son is doing so well. We are all blessed to have such a devoted and caring public service community. They can do wonders, your staying with him was a big help in the total healing process.

And of course, Welcome Back

JohnW

New User
John
Brien,

We can learn so much from our children in these situations. Thank you for sharing with us. Very glad he is healing and recoveriing well.

Mark Stewart

New User
Mark
Brian, My thoughts are with you and your family. Best wishes to all. Kids are tougher than we believe them to be and this is just another example. May he have a speedy recovery.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
So glad to hear your son has come through his ordeal in such a strong manner. Sounds like you and he have both come out stronger than ever.

Bryan S

Bryan
Corporate Member
Our thoughts and prayers are with you. I can not imagine what you have been going through for the past months, but I am glad that he is recovering.

Volksdad

New User
Glen
Brian:

Thank you for sharing your personal life with us. You've taught me something about strength and courage as well. You and yours are in my prayers. I hope the upcoming holidays bring your family much love and togetherness.

G

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Sorry to hear of the problem but encouraged by the progress you both seem to have made. Good luck and hope things do truly get back to some kind of normalcy.

BKind2Anmls

New User
Susan
Brian, I am so sorry this happened to your little boy and your family. I'll be praying for your family and your son's complete recovery.

BeachBoy

New User
Jim
Wow! Sometimes life demands the unthinkable from us. In our response we find within ourselves that which we did not know existed. And we realize anew what our real priorities are. That is the stuff of which character is forged. You obviously have your priorities well placed, my friend. Thanks for sharing your inspiring story.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Good to hear the recovery is going well Brian. Wishing your son all the best!

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Brian,
I've been following on FB and you guys and gals have been in my thoughts. I used to work there (and in the original one too) as a Respiratory Therapist and am so happy his recovery has been relatively troublefree. I am always amazed at the power of the human spirit and how we can survive and then mend physical and mental injuries. We just need to be supported and allowed the chance to mend. The staff there are experts at the supporting part.

If you have to go back for follow-up and happen to see him, please say hey to Ernest Grant from me. He has some lofty position now, but I remember when he first started :)...he always kept everyone in good spirits.
Mark

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
Brian glad to hear you son is ok.. May god watch over your family and help him heal.

eyekode

New User
Salem
Brian,
My thoughts go out to your son, you and your family. And thanks for the heads up. I had never heard of those candles and will steer clear.
Salem

bluthart

New User
Brian
I guess I should have included a photo of the little guy.
grif BCF.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS