LOML's new recipe box

Status
Not open for further replies.

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
sapwood said:
Thanks D L, not only have you directed me to a more appropriate solution; you've helped me hijack DaveO's thread :eusa_whis

BTW, is it necessary to chamfer back side when using barrel hinges?

Ever inquisitive,
Sapwood

Roger, as long as we are being Hijacked I might as well go along for the ride.:lol:

I have only used the 5mm hinges a couple of times when I made some pen boxes and I did chamfer the edges on those. I belive based on how the hinge pivots on a single point you will have to chamfer the edge to avoid any binding. You might try it on some scrape w/o the chamfer to see if it will work for your application. I have used the 10mm barrel hinges a few times now for some boxes and I did not have to chamfer the edges. Of course the 10mm hinge opens up and out to provide clearance.

Happy hijacking........I enjoyed the ride.:icon_thum

D L

woodguy1975

New User
John
DaveO said:
Woodguy, you doing an inlay free-hand, OK. Insomniac doing one, inspiring for us little people:lol: :lol: :lol: Seriously, if you look back in the thread I mentioned that there are two ways to do inlays: the Woodguy method, and the router bushing kit method:eusa_clap You are teaching and don't even know it:icon_thum I was able to route almost right on the scored line, so I had very little trimming to do, but something other than an X-acto knife would be better.

Sapwood, yes you do need to chamfer the back edges of the box to allow the lid to rest back, which conviently also holds it open nicely. Set the bore dead on the center line and the chamfer to it, and the lid will stay open at about 93-97 deg.
Dave:)

Little people... I'm just a little person.:lol: I was just trying to poke fun at Monty. LOL I'm glad to see you guys going for it. You'll find yourself using your router in freehand mode more than you think. It really helps your comfort level with your router. "Become one with your router!" :lol:

R

rickc

D L Ames said:
That's one of them Zen things isn't it?:lol:

D L

Either that, or observations from someone who wore loose fitting clothing while using a router free hand! :roll:

DavidF

New User
David
On the subject of free hand routing. While re-creating the lake on "you know what" I did the same, routed the outline free hand climb cutting all the way, had to force the router to NOT follow a nice curve. I made an initial cut 1/4 deep and then used a bit with a shaft mounted bearing to follow the profile to cut the rest of the 1 1/4" deep hole. Worked well.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
You're a brave man, free hand routing a 1/8"cut is one thing, climb-cutting a 1/4" cut free-hand is another.8-O 8-O

Dave:)

DavidF

New User
David
By climb cutting the router will go inwards away from the line if it catches; you have to hold it to the line giving great control - remember "the router always go left"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS