Logging in--being unlogged in

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sarah McI

New User
Sally
If the web supervisor can do this, lengthen the amount of time people are logged in. This time is too short. I have been kicked out several times in the process of writing replies. I can't type that fast.

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
If that is the "remember me" box, I just ticked it so maybe I will not be booted out so fast?

The "Remember Me" checkbox is the appropriate solution to your issue as it will automatically log you back in when your session expires. Unfortunately, there is nothing we can do to extend the built-in inactivity timeout as that is built into the forum software itself but the "Remember Me" checkbox will work around the issue provided you are logging in from a trusted PC, mobile device, or location (you would never want to use "Remember Me" if using a public kiosk PC, such as at your local library) since a failure to explicitly log off when finished would mean that others using the same PC would then be able to login to the server using your account. But when using you home PC or personal mobile devices then that is the preferred way to go to avoid needing to regularly log back in after the inactivity timeout.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
The way that I get around this problem when typing a long response (such as just did) is to "select all" and then "copy" the text before I hit "post". That way it's on my clipboard in the event that I'm booted off.

Also, I have found that if my session expires and I'm notified of this when I hit "Post", if I correctly type in my username and PW at the screen that pops up my post will go through ok. But if I mis type my user name or PW, of if I hit the "back" button my post is lost.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
If I have to type more than a few sentences I use Word or Pages to compose the paragraph(s). Then copy and paste into here.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
The auto-save feature can also help in some of these cases (although remember me is the easiest answer). It your latest typing was 'auto-saved' then if you go the the same forum and 'reply to thread' just as you did originally, then you simply need to click the 'go advanced' button at the bottom of the blank reply you're about to post. One of the advanced options is to restore an 'auto-saved' reply. Might save some time if the auto-save captured your typing in the not too distant past.

Using 'remember me' is much easier unless you're in a non-familiar environment.

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
The auto-save feature can also help in some of these cases (although remember me is the easiest answer). It your latest typing was 'auto-saved' then if you go the the same forum and 'reply to thread' just as you did originally, then you simply need to click the 'go advanced' button at the bottom of the blank reply you're about to post. One of the advanced options is to restore an 'auto-saved' reply. Might save some time if the auto-save captured your typing in the not too distant past.

Using 'remember me' is much easier unless you're in a non-familiar environment.

The Auto-Save feature is also active in the Quick Reply Editor, so no need to switch to the Advanced Editor. If an Auto-Save is available you will see an option to restore the previous text in the lower left-hand corner of the editor text box as a yellow button. However, the Auto-Save feature is not fool proof so some times there is no Auto-Save text to restore even if there ought to be, most of the time it works as it should, but not always. The Auto-Saves occur about every minute or so, so you may need to review your text and complete it if you had made some changes before the last Auto-Save interval occurred.

Chuckd

New User
Chuck
Mike and Sarah,

Thanks,

I was having the same issue. I did note that if you are typing a long message and get booted off the message is auto saved and you can restore it. Its at the bottom of your reply on a gray button.

Chuck Dixon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS