Location Of Air Compressor

Wiley's Woodworks

Wiley
Corporate Member
Like most of us, I'm out of floor space in my 1 garage shop. I really want to get an air compressor system, and my choices are (1) get an undersized ~20 gal tank on wheels and locate it inside, or (2) get a stationary ~60 gal tank and locate outside and under a roof. #2 would be exposed to the everyday weather temperatures, and building a protective cabinet makes the project more trouble than it's worth. My ?: Is it safe and practical to locate a tank and compressor outside on a long term basis?

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
I kicked out the compressor and the dust collector last year. I built a small shed off the back of the shop just to keep them out of the weather. not heated space. 40 gallon compressor with an additional 60 gallon tank for extra storage when I need it.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Is it safe and practical to locate a tank and compressor outside on a long term basis?
That's standard for most commercial places that use a compressor, but residential shops, not so much.
A covered area is a given. An air feed from an area that has dried air would cut down on draining the tank so much.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Only issue is getting power safely to them. I don't mean an extension cord across the ground!
Easy if up against the garage. I have been thinking of that myself as I need to re-duct anyway. I could mount the DC higher and use a full size bin.

llucas

luke
Senior User
I got tired of the noise of the inside compressor...put in an unconditioned shed attached to the shop...punched a hole in the wall and ran a hose and power supply to it. Because I didn't want to forget to turn it off when I'm away from the shop, I put it on a switched outlet with a light on it to remind me. I do have to remind myself to drain the tank. I do enjoy the extra room and less noise.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Nothing wrong with outside unless you have severe cold, then put a small tiny heater the prevent it from freezing turns on @ 40 deg and turns off @ 55 deg kind of thing. If you are near neighbors the black 1"rubber HVAC duct insulation really attenuates the sound transmission. But then, just a enclosed shack will quiet it down quite a bit.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS