Live Edge Bench

Millmarks

Doug
Corporate Member
Just finished this Ash live edge bench. Had the plank sitting around for years and finally decided to do something with it. It's 13x54x18, stained and finished with GF oil based urethane.

IMG_0686.JPG

iclark

Ivan
User
Very nice.

I have 2 live-edge planks (black walnut and osage orange) waiting for me to do something like that with them.

Could you share more about the structure you used for the base and what finish you used?

thanks.

Millmarks

Doug
Corporate Member
Very nice.

I have 2 live-edge planks (black walnut and osage orange) waiting for me to do something like that with them.

Could you share more about the structure you used for the base and what finish you used?

thanks.
The plank is just over 2" thick so I did a 1 1/4" deep x 7/8" x 2" (approximate) mortise & tenon for each of the legs and then tied them together with the same size piece using M&T. A small piece of African Kiaat, a dark hardwood, was used as a foot on each leg. Sanded to 180 grit, stained it and finished with 4 coats of General Finishes oil based satin urethane.
I love working with Ash.

John Jimenez

JJ
Corporate Member
Doug…great job, looks awesome! So you mortised the legs into the slab an 1.25” and glued them in? No movement issues side to side without cross bracing between the legs?

Millmarks

Doug
Corporate Member
Doug…great job, looks awesome! So you mortised the legs into the slab an 1.25” and glued them in? No movement issues side to side without cross bracing between the legs?
Good so far. It's a very heavy bench and if it does start to move, then I'll do something about it, but I believe it's solid and will stay put.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
That slab top looks vertical grain with very tight rings. It must have come from an impressively large tree. That should be a very stable top. Beautiful.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors