Live Center Identification

RJC58

Bob
Senior User
I’m fairly new to turning... I don’t recognize the manufacturer and model of this live center that was part of a basket purchase. Can anyone help? It appears to accept other inserts and I’m interested in possibly rounding out the set.

Attachments

• 6F467ADD-4E24-449A-9F3A-329ABC69B63F.jpeg
    6F467ADD-4E24-449A-9F3A-329ABC69B63F.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 189
  • 617C788F-393D-45FF-AEB2-96DC801778A1.jpeg
    617C788F-393D-45FF-AEB2-96DC801778A1.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 180
  • 2B09AE91-AE00-4DF0-AECD-B8A43003AF75.jpeg
    2B09AE91-AE00-4DF0-AECD-B8A43003AF75.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 173

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
With no discernible marks or names, what you have may be a home made device. Many machinists will make such an item if they have the materials rather than buy one. It's an ingenious way to have multiple methods of holding materials in one tool.

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
I disagree that it's homemade. I believe I have one or two of this type. Mine came with one insert that has a center point. I've never seen any other inserts for them. I would guess that possibly the insert you have might be homemade. Now that part I'd agree with! I believe these were the cheaper live centers that can be purchased. I've had mine a long time and if I can remember, I bought them when I was just starting out in turning so I really wasn't sure what to get and these looked ok.

pcooper

Phillip Cooper
Corporate Member
I have a center made by one way that looks just like that. It has removable center pieces to change the type of tip you want.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Maybe bring it with you to a Klingspor Store or the Extravaganza in Hickory on OCT 25,26. You might be able to find some extra inserts there. It looks to me like a pretty common live center. I have one similar with multiple tips - some pointy, some funnel shaped.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
It looks very similar to the the PEN MANDREL SAVER sold by Penn State Industries, Amazon, etc. Difference is the removable hollow piece. What is great about yours is it can have a live center point inserted also, thus making it two tools in one. I haven't seen that particular model for sale anywhere but the points can be bought on Amazon.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors