Live center/buffing system question

Status
Not open for further replies.

nblong

New User
Bruce
I just bought PSI's three-wheel buffing system and a heavy-duty 60-degree live center for the tailstock. When I advance the tailstock it looks like the point of the live center is what makes contact inside the dimple on the end of the buffing system shaft. Is this correct? I'm new to turning but I would have thought that the live center would make contact around the entire circumference of the dimple. Instead, there's a noticeable gap.

If I use the buffers as is eventually I suspect this will damage the live center point but I don't know if this is a bad thing or not. Is the point itself that important (i.e., MUST it come to a sharp point) or is the area behind the point what's important? In other words, is the 60-degree shape so the live center can automatically center in and support a variable range of workpiece diameters?

For any Zen masters out there: is the point pointless? (Sorry, I couldn't resist.)

Kalai

New User
Chris Kalai Allen
Hi Bruce, I do not have a 3 wheel system like yours but when I look at the picture of one all set up it looks like it does fit in the dimple, I just use 3 different wheels on 3 different morse taper bits made to hold a buffing wheel, it is very fast and easy to change and since I turn alot of big things I like the extra room I have with the single wheel at a time, I would use the 3 wheel type for mas production of smaller items, it seems like it would work good. Let me know how it works out, aloha.

Kalai :)

T

toolferone

It is my feeling that you should have a lot more contact then you do.

nblong

New User
Bruce
I called PSI and explained my problem to one of their service reps. He asked around to see what his coworkers thought and called me back. They all agreed that the dimple had probably been machined improperly but when they looked at their own setup they discovered the same thing was present and they had been using it consistently with no problems. Their feeling is that eventually the point on the live center would wear down some but that it shouldn't be a problem. The bottom line is that I should just use the system as is and not worry about it but they are still going to ask the manufacturer of the shaft to correct it for future purchasers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors