Linear Shower Drain

Kerrbuggs1

New User
Kenny
Anyone have experience with linear shower drains? I recently moved into a home and our shower has one installed. It appears to show signs of some clogging and I was hoping to pull up the piece of tile that is centered over it, but it looks like it is caulked onto something. I'd like to pull it off, but I'm worried I'm going to break something.
647441601.jpg

Last edited:

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
It should not have been glued down. Might look at the install instructions for the various companies that make them

I looked a bit but was not real happy with the methods of sealing to the membrane. So looking at the more conventional foam pans with round drains.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Fron below I expect a all glued up P trap. The top should come up. Tray with the marble and all.

Robert LaPlaca

Robert
Senior User
So take this answer FWIW, watching This Old House, they were showing how one of these trick slot drains are installed. For the unit they installed, the tile/stone is glued into a metal carrier (presumably stainless), the carrier was held on with magnets. Now the unit they installed the tile cover was on the wall, but who knows.

Hope this helps?

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have seen them lifted up for cleaning. A pair of small suction cups were used - the same ones that are used to open Apple monitors

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Often the plumber will embed the corners or near with "Dap" caulking to prevent it for rocking and getting call backs. If that is the case you can build a small Tee board -(2 pieces screwed together like a upside down "T") make is 1/2" less the dimension around so if the dim is 3 x24 make it 2x 22-23" then use 4 piece of double stick tape to attach to the top.
Now you can see if it is really attached or not. If it is , get a small stainless wire like a B or high E guitar string and feed it in from the short edge to the long side. Just use a saw light motion and this will cut the Caulking without damaging anything else.

There is always a way. If the trap is inaccessible, then it will be glued. If it is accessible then it is supposed to be a mechanical fit, not saying the plumbers always follow code, but in theory that is the rule.

CarolinaRoots

New User
Brett
Google kerdi line linear drain, I’ve installed this exact shower. The cover with the tile on it does come up and it should have a small hair basket in it. A hanger with a small hook on the end should help

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
I have seen them lifted up for cleaning. A pair of small suction cups were used - the same ones that are used to open Apple monitors
Only those who did not know how to open them. Same with the Mac case spreaders. We had our tricks. :)

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS