Lie-Nielsen Handtool event

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charlie Buchanan

Charlie
Corporate Member
Went to the Lie-Nielsen handtool show at NC State today. I had not been to one of these events before. Very informative. You can try all their tools and watch the experts set up and adjust the planes close up. I learned techniques that apply to any bench plane of whatever brand. The demonstrators were very helpful and willing to answer questions. The show continues tomorrow (Saturday, 1/21) Would recommend it to any hand tool user--especially if you have had trouble getting your planes set up right.

They are very low-key about selling. You really have to ask if you want to buy something. I liked that approach a lot.

RayH

New User
Ray
Here is an excerpt from today's Raleigh paper with some information (and a link) about the exhibition:

Top drawer: Woodworking tools exhibition
Woodworking tools exhibition

Have an interest in woodworking? If so, head to the N.C. State University Craft Center from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. today to learn about traditional hand tools and techniques.

Woodworkers will help demystify the world of hand tool woodworking and focus on skills such as sharpening, tool setup, use and joinery.

Woodworkers of all ages and skill levels are invited and will have the opportunity to ask questions and get hands-on experience.

The show is free and sponsored by Lie-Nielsen Toolworks, a U.S. manufacturer of heirloom woodworking tools. Learn more by visiting tinyurl.com/7v7gwqd.

The Craft Center is at 210 Jansen Drive, Raleigh.

Jeremy Scuteri

Jeremy
Are there show discounts?

Last time I was at a Lie Nielsen handtool event, they did not offer any discounts. It was a good experience and if you are looking for information or just want to try the tools out, it would be worth yoru time to go.

meredj

Jesse
Corporate Member
Went by yesterday and came away with a Boggs spokeshave...:gar-Bi
No discoints were applied, but if they did not have the tool you wanted with them they would ship it free. Also they applied a credit for the parking that you needed yesterday,the parking is free today tho. Roy was there doing his demo on the spring pole lathe and Bob Zajicek from Marietta, GA was selling his marking knives and scratch awls. Matt Bickford was doing a few dovetail demo's and hawking his educational classes. Bill Anderson was there giving a demo on building his small toolchest, which is sweet. Met a few ncww's and all in all an enjoyable trip.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Charlie Stickney and I also stopped by the show on Friday around lunch time. I came away with a small block plane, and will be receiving a corner chisel and 8000 grit stone in the mail.

Overall a very nice event.

Scott

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Are there show discounts?

They weren't offering discounts, but you got a free DVD with your purchase. After listening to one of their experts on hand planes I finally broke down and bought a #4 bronze smoother with a 50 degree frog. It was the expert that convinced me to go with the higher angle frog. They are shipping it to me (free shipping also) along with their small router plane.

Roy Underhill and Bill Anderson were there giving demonstrations along with several others. Roy was turning a large piece of Walnut on his Treadle Lathe.

Overall a great event if not a little expensive for those of us with quality tool envy.

- Ken.

Semmons23

New User
Steve
I stopped by on Saturday and came away with a #62 Low angle jack plane and a shooting video. I also got some sawing technique advise from Chuck Bender.

I already had a #4 1/2 so I new it would be awesome but the #62 is unbelievable. Was taking full length end grain shavings after about 5 minutes of sharpening. I'll get some higher angles blades at some point...

Also met Deneb whom my wife spoke with over Christmas when she got me the 4 1/2 so that was cool too.

There was some good info in the video but I fell asleep at least 3 times :D

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I received the small router plane on Thursday last week and the Smoother on Tuesday. I had started carving a piece of tiger maple in the wrong direction and needed to plane it smooth to start over with the correct grain orientation. I used the smoother to plane out the carving marks and ended with a super-smooth piece of maple with absolutely no tear-out. I'm very pleased with the performance of this plane.

- Ken.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS