Lie-Nielsen Handsaw Sharpening video....

Status
Not open for further replies.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
While working hard (ok, meandering around the internet), I stumbled upon some really good Youtube videos in the Lie-Nielsen channel.

These three pertain to handsaw sharpening :)

Saws Part 1: Techniques and Sharpening a Rip Saw: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orPgaoF31ZQ
Saws Part 2: Sharpening a Cross Cut Saw & Setting Saw Teeth: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flJMdpkcn5s
Saws Part 3: Jointing, Care & Maintenance: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTbFTAQpkA0

Sure, its a bit of an infomercial, but in typical Lie-Nielsen fashion, chuck full of great info.

Jim

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
I wish to retract my use of the word infomercial.

Having watched these videos in their entirety, they are way more info than mercial.

He does do something I'm dying to try. The tops of his various saw vises are painted a flourescent yellow. I bet that really helps contrast with the teeth (when you mark them with layout/marker/sightblack).

Also, if you don't yet have the saw bug, these videos will surely tempt you......

Jim

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Could I get those on a DVD? I'm at the end of the line so my DSL is not much faster than dial-up. The video is very choppy and the sound is garbled. I hardly ever watch any video at home.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Mike, one thing to try, hit play on the video, then go outside or take a nap or practice juggling.....

When its done, try to play it again. I forget what they call the button, maybe Replay or Play Aagain.

Many of these flash videos will cache locally on your computer while you play them. Then replaying works great.

I struggle with that same issue at times.

I'm not aware of them being on DVD. If you'd like, I'd be happy to ask Tom Lie-Nielsen for permission to burn you a DVD copy.

Jim

Last edited:

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Another option, I just tested, is an Add On to Firefox named Video DownloadHelper.

It works great, and saves a copy of a video to your computer.

I don't feel comfortable posting links to installable software. If you care for more details on it, just PM me.

Jim

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
I have a really wonderful followup to this thread.

I contacted Lie-Nielsen Toolworks through their You Tube page.

The next day, Conor, Videographer/Editor replied. Not only was he aware of our forum:eusa_danc , he offered to provide Mike copies of the videos.

I'm so cynical these days, but this just made my day.

It says so much to me about the kind of company Lie-Nielsen is. They care about not only about the high quality tools they make, but also follow up with training on how to use those tools.

He mentioned they have added some new videos I plan to check out.

"We recently posted 4 new videos on Large Format Blockplanes, Shoulder Planes, The Beading Tool, and Scraping Planes."

Jim

PeteQuad

New User
Peter
Thanks for those links Jim. Very clear, straightforward instruction. Breaking it into 3 parts made it much easier to follow, since a lot of the instruction I'd seen might make one think that every time you sharpen you have to joint and set also.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS