Left hand vs right for circular saw?

Tim Sherwood

Tim
Corporate Member
I'm in the market for a new circular saw. What are the pros and cons of a left hand blade vs. a right hand? I am right handed. I will use this saw primarily to break down plywood.
I'm looking at the Bosch 6 1/4" cordless saws. I like the idea of a track saw. But I just can't justify the high cost.

areevesnc

Aaron
Corporate Member
I’m left-handed and most of my shop is set up that way, but I use a right-handed circular saw for sheet materials and some construction lumber. When I bought it 25 years ago, I wasn’t aware that left-handed saws were even an option.

I have no trouble driving the saw with my “off” hand, so my impression is that it won’t make a lot of difference. I’ll be curious to know what other left-handers have to say.

Last edited:

waitup

New User
Matt
Back when I used to work on a framing crew, we kept one left handed saw around because the tilt was in the other direction and you never knew when you needed it. Only con I can think of for the lefty (as a right handed person) is that when you use a circular saw a lot you don't really think when you grab it and your front hand would be going towards the blade.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
I have the little Makita for break down. Not been a problem for me. I use either hand depending on what is comfortable. I cut to have the wider part of the base supported on the biggest piece.

Yea, dream list is the Makita track saw. I can't even dream as big as the Festool.

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have a couple left and right handed saws. I have used them to cut aprons for staircases. You need the ability to cut bevels or miters in them so having opposing blade tilts helps with efficiency. I used them the same for running boxing and siding on homes. Again the same reason. I’m left handed but I work ambidextrously. That’s a learned behavior. For just breaking down stock all you need is a good saw and a straight edge. Either hand will work with the only advantage being your personal comfort. Good luck Tim.

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
As a lefty, I dislike using a righthand saw only because it discharges the sawdust all over me and fills my shop apron pockets with sawdust. I learned with the righty, so am capable using one. Too old to change now!

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
When framing I usually mark with a square and hold the square against the saw to keep it straight. I'm right handed and usually use a LH saw for this as it gives me better visibility of the cut. We also do a lot of blocking in metal studs for cabinets and when a TS isn't available (think stolen) I've learned that holding the saw guide flush with the edge of the wood produces a kerf at the perfect place to lock the blocking into the metal stud lip. This is using a DeWalt 6-1/2" cordless, but I started using an old Rockwell LH 6". Fence a little wider but I compensated. Still prefer the Rockwell 6" for framing as it is lighter and less fatiguing at the end of the day. YMMV

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
I use a standard Skill 77 and have a cordless version I prefer it over all other saws in that, the saw's balance is more liner focused to the cut. So, when you cut the weight, inertia and travel are all aligned to move in a straight line. Sidewinders balance is much more unstable because of the motor 90 deg orientation to the cut.
I am left handed and never cared to have a left handed saw, do not see much benefit in it.
Also, the new skil saw dust porting is directional now. That is a cool feature

Tim Sherwood

Tim
Corporate Member
Thanks for the advice guys. It sounds like the blade on the left of the motor might give me better sight to my line . I think I'll go for that version. I'll stay with Bosch since I already have their batteries. Also, their newer version of the 6 1/2" saw has a variable dust discharge. I'll use it with the blade from my drywall square as a guide.

Wilsoncb

Williemakeit
Corporate Member
I know they are more expensive, but have you considered a track saw instead? I personally struggle with a regular circular saw and fence. For example if I tried to use a drywall square I would no doubt end up pushing the saw over the top of it…or under it in the middle. Obviously a more skilled operator would not have these issues, but a track saw for me was a big help.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
I bought a LH Porter Cable saw many years ago not long after they first came out. It is easier to use for line of sight crosscuts, as Dennis mentioned, (although a RH saw is better for trimming boards to length). For me, it is also easier when breaking down sheet goods. It really excels when cutting out a hole in sheet goods (ex: window opening in sheet of ply or OSB) because the weight of the saw is not on the drop when you are trying to get a sight on the cut line. The downside, as mentioned, is that you are on the side of the saw throwing the sawdust. A vac attachment eliminates most of this.

Last edited:

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Not trying to hijack the thread here, but while we're on the subject of LH stuff, one of my pet peeves with tape measures are you usually end up holding the tape body with your left hand and crossing over with your right to mark stuff, which wouldn't be necessary if the numbers read right to left right side up......

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
You’re going to find cordless and worm drives are left handed. Most corded are right. My corded PC 6 1/2 Sawboss is left.

You‘ll get used to it. Use a Speed square

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
We used our Skill 77's to cut the ends off rafters while standing on the top plate, usually 2 1/2 stories up. NO MORE!

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
You’re going to find cordless and worm drives are left handed. Most corded are right. My corded PC 6 1/2 Sawboss is left.

You‘ll get used to it. Use a Speed square
Don't quote me on the model #s being correct, but PC makes a 7-1/2" saw in both right and left with transposed model numbers of 347 & 374 IIRC. I have both but still prefer the LH version unless doing miter cuts.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors