Lee Valley Bench Dog Bushing

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Kind of torn between trying the router method to start the holes and trying to do it on the drill press. My top is in two halves and each half weighs around 70lbs. so i could possibly build a support to hold one end while i drill the other on the drill press...but if i dropped it that would sucks....hmmm
Mine weighs about 110 pounds. I was in better shape a few years ago. Would set up roller tables now and get help lifting.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I used my Festool Plunge Router and the track to easily keep the holes in a straight line.

Ed Fasano

Ed
Senior User
Has anyone tried something like this?

View attachment 196043

I'm thinking of getting one of these.
I used a similar device for my dog holes. I've had a Port-Align* guide for decades. Very handy when the need arises. I preferred the Port-Align because the guide posts were fixed at 90-degrees to a cast aluminum base, eliminating any post twisting.
Also, if you start a hole with a plunge router, that straight hole will act as a reasonable guide to finish the desired depth with a handheld drill.
* Port-Align went out of business years ago but I see them on eBay from time to time.

Ed Fasano

Ed
Senior User
Port-Aligns are simple and well made. A good tool compared to the market's current offerings that all seemed to try to fix a problem that didn't exist.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors