Learning

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jeff...

I've been working on and off with Jim (Insteadof) for a while now and brought my sawmill out to his place this this past week. Jim's a supper intelligent guy, packed with a world full of wisdom and he's very friendly to boot. Even though he's never sawn lumber from logs with a sawmill before, he gets me thinking pretty hard by asking the right questions at the right time. For example we sawed one log that had some splitting when the tree got blown over for the tornado. We studied that log pretty hard and did some good measurements. By positioning the log just right on the mill for the first saw in 1/2 cut, we ended up loosing just only a 5/4 board from that log.

Seems the more I saw with others the more I learn - sometimes what I think is the right decision (by habit) turns out to be not as good as I first thought it would be. It's listening to others that spark new thought, discussion and a new way of thinking. I sure do appreciate Jim sharing his wisdom with me, you know you just can't put any kind of value on wisdom sharing. Not only will I end up being a better sawyer, I'll be a better person :thumbs_up.

I'm really going to hate when the work is done out at Jim's and I have to pull out of there but I just took on another large sawing job for a guy who wants 3 acres thinned out to make more room for his cows. I don't know which I like better the logging part or the sawing part. I do know I like being able to cut logs the way I like them cut - it makes milling so much easier. I guess I'll just be a gypsy for a while and roam wherever the trees fall. It keeps me out of trouble ain't that right Cathy?

Thanks

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Jeff,

Man you sure do seem at peace with yourself right now, I know it hasn't always been that way with the sawing. I hope everything is starting to work out for you, because you're a good guy and deserve some breaks bro'.

Good Luck and Godspeed,
Jimmy:mrgreen:

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
I have always said when I get to the point that I know everything there is to know about any one particular subject that it will be time to quit. Don't guess I will ever be quitting. Jeff, I am glad that you are having such a good time with this project. Hopefully the more fun you have the better the price will get:rotflm::nah:. Just kidding:wwink:. I learn something new every day!!

cskipper

Cathy
Being busy is good. Being busy and learning is better. Being busy, learning and having fun while doing it is about the best you can get! I'm glad you have had that opportunity and hope it continues for you. You obviously love what you are doing, and you do great work! It is amazing how much we receive when we teach others.

Glennbear

Glenn
Wonderful thoughts Jeff, gaining and sharing wisdom is a priceless thing. I guess that is why I love NCWW so much :wsmile:

jerrye

New User
Jerry
Jeff, you've learned a lesson a former shift supervisor taught me. Even if someone has never seen the process you are using, if they have a head for thinking (not all do, some are just hat racks) and a mind that is process or mechanically oriented, you can learn something from them if you'll listen.

I agree with Cathy. FUN while working and accomplishing makes it all worthwhile!:icon_thum

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
I love, LOVE burning houses for training. I ABSOLUTELY LOVE burning them with my hand chosen group of instructors!
When you get to mesh minds with others that are as passionate about the things you are passionate about, and get to work off each other instead of having to do things your way or their way but find the BEST way it takes things to a new level. At least for me. No competition, no egos yes sir, life can be SO good.
I'm glad for you that you got to experience what sounds like what I love to do. Amazing how that can transcend into other areas of life, isn't it?

Jon

New User
Jon Todd
I like learning new things and I often like looking back and saying well I did ok on that but next time I coulld do this different and think of ways I could do it better. Do Any of you guys do that?

Hey Jeff Can I come sometime and help you or watch ?

M

McRabbet

One of my life-long adages has been "learn something new today" -- I have always thrived on new challenges.

BTW, our Western NC Woodworkers Association meeting tomorrow is with Wes and Steve Keull (Mountain Sawyers - both are members of the Assoc.) as they demonstrate sawing logs into lumber -- they will demonstrate how to get the best high quality lumber out of logs, including quarter sawing... I'll be taking pictures!

J

jeff...

There is unrest in the forest, there is trouble with the trees. For the maples want more sunlight but the oaks ignore their pleas.

The trouble with the maples (and they're quite convinced they're right) They say the oaks are just too lofty and they grab up all the light. But the oaks can't help their feelings, if they like the way they're made. And they wonder why the maples just can't be happy in their shade.

There is trouble in the forest, and the creatures all have fled. As the maples scream OPPRESSION! and the oaks just shake their heads.

So the maples formed a union and demanded equal rights. The oaks are just too greedy, we will make them give us light. Now there's no more oak oppression, for they passed a noble law. The trees are all kept equal by hatchet, axe, and saw...

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Jeff, that was beautiful. Sniffing walnut again?

Kalai

New User
Chris Kalai Allen
Hi Jeff, sounds like you are having some fun, what kind of mill do you have, I have a Woodmiser and a Hudson bandsaw mill, I like milling wood too, just as much as making things out of wood, you are always welcome to come to my place here in Hawaii and I will let you mill some Koa wood, take care and aloha.

Chris

J

jeff...

Hi Jeff, sounds like you are having some fun, what kind of mill do you have, I have a Woodmiser and a Hudson bandsaw mill, I like milling wood too, just as much as making things out of wood, you are always welcome to come to my place here in Hawaii and I will let you mill some Koa wood, take care and aloha.

Chris

Koa :icon_scra I never cut three letter wood before :eusa_thin

sawduster

New User
Robert
Gum ?? :gar-La;

That poem was kewl dude :icon_thum ........u write it ?

one of the greatest things about being a part of this group for me in the amount of knowledge and wisdom along with the patience for the sharing of the same
I would never be where I am without this group !! :icon_thum :icon_thum :icon_thum

M

McRabbet

Yep and he seems to have forgotten ELM and ASH, too! Come on, Jeff...

J

jeff...

Yep and he seems to have forgotten ELM and ASH, too! Come on, Jeff...

Ah would that be Red Elm / American Elm or Slippery Elm and for Ash is that Green or White Ash? Come on guys name me one tree around here that is only three letters long.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Gum?
Of course, every time I've heard it described it was preceded by #%$*&%*^!!!!!! Do they count as letters?
:gar-La;

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS