Learning Turning the Hard Way Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

timf67

New User
Tim
A while back I posted a thread and pictures of my first bowl attempt and resulting blowout (or spoon rest:icon_thum) Anyway, I CA glued the biggest chunks back on and finished it like a "natural edge" bowl

bowls_003.jpg

bowls_0011.jpg

bowls_0021.jpg

I then proceeded onto my second bowl - the one I roughed with a spindle roughing gouge :embarrassed:
I won't do that again! (Thanks to the many turners who educated me on proper tool use!). Anyway, all is well that ends well I guess. Here it is:

bowls_005.jpg

bowls_006.jpg

bowls_008.jpg

and together...

bowls_010.jpg

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Tim, those turned out very well. :icon_thum What kind of wood is the second one?

One thing that helped me more than anything is going and hanging out with someone who has been turning for a while. In my case, I happened to be in the Raleigh area quite a bit and DaveO was nice enough to let me stop by his shop. Just watching someone else turn can really help. And there are plenty of members in your area that are accomplished turners.

If you're not into that idea, order a couple of dvds online. This can actually be more helpful because you can watch them whenever you want and don't have to work around someone else's schedule. Skeeter was kind enough to let me borrow a few of his dvds and I watched them probably 20 times. It really does help. :thumbs_up:thumbs_up You're starting off great. More than anything, just keep on turning. I was turning one or two bowls every night when I first started. :swoon:

timf67

New User
Tim
Tim, those turned out very well. :icon_thum What kind of wood is the second one?

One thing that helped me more than anything is going and hanging out with someone who has been turning for a while. In my case, I happened to be in the Raleigh area quite a bit and DaveO was nice enough to let me stop by his shop. Just watching someone else turn can really help. And there are plenty of members in your area that are accomplished turners.

If you're not into that idea, order a couple of dvds online. This can actually be more helpful because you can watch them whenever you want and don't have to work around someone else's schedule. Skeeter was kind enough to let me borrow a few of his dvds and I watched them probably 20 times. It really does help. :thumbs_up:thumbs_up You're starting off great. More than anything, just keep on turning. I was turning one or two bowls every night when I first started. :swoon:

Thanks for the feedback! The second one is Redheart. If I could I would probably turn at least one a night, but a 3 year old and 5 month old keep me busy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS