Learning techniques on the cheap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Murphy

New User
Fern HollowMan
As I said in my intro, I'm an old dog trying to learn new tricks. I'm also rather cheap. In that regard, I'm using materials that are either very cheap or free to practice on. Since everyone wants to see pictures, I decided to become a rooster and crow a little.

Here's a picture of my shop. It was born this year, and is yet to become fully formed. I realized that many of you have works of art for your workbenches and chests, but I'm using studs and plywood and other things, like recycled kitchen cabinets that were headed for the landfill.
DCP_0006.JPG

I needed to build a table to hold my MLCS router table top, so I used pine studs and built a stand.
DCP_0011.JPG

I used mortise and tenon techniques to make the coarse frame (homemade jig, PC router, tenoning jig on the PM66) and some four year old Titebond. No other fasteners.

Now I needed to close in the front, and, lo and behold, I had a supply of surveyor stakes (since I am, in my other life, a land surveyor). Here are the stakes:

DCP_0001.JPG

They're poplar, a little more than 3/4" thick, planed on two faces, warped, twisted and buckled. They're also not exactly straight. That's not a problem.

DCP_0005.JPG

I ripped them on the PM66, jointed them on the 882, and planed them on the 22-580. I then ran them through the beading bit, laid them side by side, glued em up and took a break. When the glue set, I milled another couple of stakes, set up the cope and stick set in the router table, and milled the rails and stiles. Cut the panels to fit and made cabinet doors, as you can see leaning against the router table in the shot above.

The sides and rear of the router station are plywood panels salvaged from the Rikon 10-345 shipping case. Here's another view. The upside down was noticed well after the glue had begun to set, and, well, it just gives it character.
DCP_0004.JPG

The floor in the router station is salvaged chinese plywood from the shipping base of the PJ-882, cut using my homemade panel cutting sled on the 66. You can see the hinges in the hand cut mortises in the doors. I learned that it takes two sets of hinges to hang two doors... you can't hang two doors with one set of hinges. I also learned (recalled, actually) that you lose 3/4" in width when you cope and stick doors, so I milled and beaded two more stakes and glued them against the laminated studs.

So, over the past two weeks I've used a lot of tools in the shop, made many mistakes (some stupid, some from inexperience), had a lot of fun, spent about $8 on studs, nothing on stakes (they were out of date, so I took them), didn't junk up the landfill with shipping boxes, and decided to CROW about it. As I increase my skills and abilities, I'll replace this junk with crafted hardware I can be proud of. For right now, I'm pretty pleased with myself, and thanks for looking.

PS: I read the FAQ on pictures, but don't know how to get the URL for the thumbnails. Sorry for the large post, hope you got RoadRunner or DSL.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Excellent job on re-cycling the materials there Jim!!!!:eusa_danc :eusa_danc :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

That is truly a great looking shop! I can honestly say that I am green with envy!!!:tongue11: :tongue11: :tongue11: All of that Powermatic gear looks right at home!!!!

You should feel very, very proud of that wonderful looking shop! (That flooring actually looks better than my living and dining room!!!!)

Thanks for sharing the pics!

Wayne

DaveO

New User
DaveO
No problems on the pic size, most of us are up to "speed" :-D You may be cheap on materials, but not on equipment. You have a fine looking shop, that is something to crow about. I think by nature ww'ers are cheap folks, why pay for something when I can make it myself mentality. I'm quite impressed, thanks for the posting :icon_thum

Dave:)

Dusty Sawyer

New User
David
Wow ! Nice job on putting the shop together. I love to look at an old "work of art" workbench and see nicks, cuts, stains and areas of wear. Then again, I would never want to modify one of of those by putting a nail into it to hold something or adding a shelf, etc. In short, what you have looks very functional, well concieved and constructed.

J

jeff...

Great shop - and it's good to see someone recycle materials :icon_thum

M

McRabbet

As I said in my intro, I'm an old dog trying to learn new tricks. Since everyone wants to see pictures, I decided to become a rooster and crow a little.

PS: I read the FAQ on pictures, but don't know how to get the URL for the thumbnails.

Great pictures and superb use of materials -- you've produced a very useful router workstation and put that throw-away packing material to very good uses!

Regarding thumbnails -- when you browse through any gallery and see the thumbnail pics, just right-click on the one you want to get a pop-up set of choices. Select Properties and click on it. You'll see the full URL in the Properties window. I usually highlight the URL and save it in the COPY (Ctrl-C) buffer and then PASTE (Ctrl-V) it into my message using the format Monty has in the "Advanced" Techniques Post in the FAQ on Posting Pictures.

Your Router Table (click on the thumbnail)

Here is the syntax to insert this picture as a thumbnail, which, when you click on it, has a link to show a medium sized version (as with Monty's example, I've left 3 spaces in this line of code which must be omitted to make the code translate correctly). Be sure to get all of the brackets correct:

[url =http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/data/500/thumbs/DCP_0004.JPG]http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/data/500/medium/DCP_0004.JPG[/ img][/ url] Your Router Table (click on the thumbnail)

Hope this helps. Rob

sapwood

New User
Roger
Jim,
Creative use of the materials available to make a "Dream Shop" :icon_thum
I, too, am GREEN with envy!

And best of all, you fully understand the need for new tools . . . the containers are a great source of wood :lol:

Roger

dozer

Mike
I can't speak for everyone but I would be proud to call that shop mine. Use what ever wood you can find especially if it is free.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
You aren't too cheap having a PM jointer and a PM tablesaw. You may be stingy on the wood and materials, but IMO, you know to buy good tools.

Nice shop. Love the wood floor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors