Learned a new trick on the D4 today... [PICS!]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monty

New User
Monty
Angled through-dovetails! :cool:

IMG_1446.jpg

I'm making a doll cradle for LOML Jr. This is a pretty cool technique, I think -- even if it does only have very limited application... :roll:

For the curious, here's basically how it's done:

First of all, you rout the pins first, instead of the tails first. Of course, this requires that you know ahead of time what the proper pin width setting is for the stock you're using. Just a test cut on a cutoff piece was all it took to determine this. The workpiece is positioned away from the left stop, to allow clearance for the angled tail board... hopefully this will make sense later. A pencil line on the jig itself marks the left position of the board.

IMG_1412.jpg

As soon as the pins are cut out, one of the jig guides is chosen to make a mark for alignment. The center line of this guide is transfered onto the center of the tail on the board:

IMG_1414.jpg

This is repeated for all four corners. The pencil line is then transferred onto the tails board:

IMG_1422.jpg

IMG_1426.jpg

This line is then used to line up the tails board with the SAME jig guide that was used to make the mark in the first place:

IMG_1430.jpg

IMG_1429.jpg

Then the tails are routed as usual:

IMG_1438.jpg

Clear as mud?!?!?!? I've got to admit, I wasn't convinced that this would work at all until about 2/3 the way through... :lol: I still have to shape the head and foot profiles, put in a bottom panel, and maybe I'll try a little inlay! (feeling confident now!)

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
That's really cool, looks like it'll make an awesome doll cradle. An inlay would be a really nice touch, maybe something in a dark contrasting wood?

DaveO

New User
DaveO
That is very cool. I thought that inlayed DTs were the ultimate until I saw the Leigh tech info on how to make them. They seem very simple and straight forward after reading about them. Have you ever considered or tried inlayed DTs. I ask because the guide fingers on my 1600 don't separate like the D4's do, and you need to insert a spacer to make larger pins/tails, then cut regular sized ones leaving the the contrasting inlayed portion. BTW, very nice job, you're still one ahead of me, I've figured out how to cut them straight. Dave:)

woodguy1975

New User
John
Not bad dude! Considering you are a slacker. :slap:

It will be a very nice looking cradle. Now, if you can only get it done in time for Xmas. :)

Also nice pics too. I really need to get a flash and Omnibounce for mine.

John

Monty

New User
Monty
Thanks for the comments.

SteveD - I'm thinking maybe a purpleheart heart? Inside the headboard. I only hope it doesn't turn out looking cheesy.

DaveO - I've looked at inlaid dovetails, but I have not tried them. I've seen that article you're referring to - as usual Leigh publishes great directions that make the process pretty much fool-proof.

WG - Oh yea? Well, YOU SUCK! :slap: I got further along yesterday than I thought I would, but at the rate I typically progress there's still no guarantee I'll be done by the 25th! :lol:

sapwood

New User
Roger
Insomniac,

Uh oh, I get dizzy just thinking about stuff that complex :drunken_s

We're gonna have to get you on the cover of FWW :cool:

Impressed,
Sapwood

P

PrplHrtJarHead

I'm with Sapwood on this one...just a bit too complex for me yet...I have not yet gotten to DT's, let alone angled or inlaid. Straight DT's are on the plan for my next big project though...definitely know where to go for advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS