Leaking Air Compressor

patlaw

Mike
Corporate Member
Someone gave my son this air compressor. He hasn't tested it, but apparently the tank leaks. Assuming the motor and compressor are good, is this one likely worth trying to find a new tank? How would you go about it? Alternatively, would the compressor and motor be worth anything to anyone?

IMG_0243.jpg

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
In most cases of my experience it's cheaper to buy a new compressor. I'd try and fix the leak first.

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Do you know for sure that it is the tank that is leaking? My guess is that it is not the tank but one of the valves or fittings. My suggestion would be to determine specifically what is leaking and if you can order a replacement part. Start by making soap/water solution, fill the tank with air and then squirt the solution on the various values and pipe fittings to detect the leak (bubbles). The compressor appears to be in good condition, consequently, it would be worth a little effort to diagnose the problem.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Someone gave my son this air compressor. He hasn't tested it, but apparently the tank leaks. Assuming the motor and compressor are good, is this one likely worth trying to find a new tank? How would you go about it? Alternatively, would the compressor and motor be worth anything to anyone?

View attachment 190175valve
Mike, not sure what's going on. Looking at air outlet pipe from compressor, it looks like it took a tumble at some point. If its leaking at check/ pressure relief , often times there is trash in there. If it is the tank, I have a couple junkers that I've been trying to give away for a couple years. They don't leak, just have some dents from where it was dropped

zdorsch

Zach
Corporate Member
Agree with others—find out where it leaks and decide from there.

I rebuilt the pump (changed gaskets—$30 and fresh oil) on my older-than-me-compressor in 2016 and it’s been fine since.

nn4jw

New User
Jim
I can see a disconnected tube line in that picture, right in the same part the main compressor line connects to on the tank.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Yes close off the missing pipe. Just get a cap to put over it. Then test it if it is ok then you are good to go.

I would replace that one pipe of loose pipe as it looks egged. That is harder to fix than just making another one. All that would be about10-15 bucks.

Last edited:

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Yep, a closer look at that pic, the check valve tube is disconnected from the tank. And needs some first aid. Fix that and you should be up and running.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
I can see a disconnected tube line in that picture, right in the same part the main compressor line connects to on the tank.
Yep! And it's the line going to the pressure control switch. Being made of Aluminum, it probably fatigued just beyond the ferrule and broke. Not much trouble to just replace it with copper unless you can get enough slack to put on another ferrule. Take off that compression nut and you'll probably see the ferrule and a short piece of pipe inside

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Just in case it is the tank leaking, it might be repairable, depending on the extent of the damage. Most people neglect to drain the moisture from their tank on a regular basis, which leads to rust in the bottom of the tank. If it is a small area, you might be able to have it welded by a competent welder who will make sure the weld is air tight. I did this once years ago and it worked okay.

Reactions: Oka

joec

joe
User
I just tried to fix mine, gave up, and bought a new one. They are pretty cheap for the average hobby shop.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Just in case it is the tank leaking, it might be repairable, depending on the extent of the damage. Most people neglect to drain the moisture from their tank on a regular basis, which leads to rust in the bottom of the tank. If it is a small area, you might be able to have it welded by a competent welder who will make sure the weld is air tight. I did this once years ago and it worked okay.
CAN'T reccommend welding a leaky tank. If it's rusted thru in one spot, there are other spots waiting to fail. Most welders won't touch an air tank for liability reasons.

patlaw

Mike
Corporate Member
There's a possibility that the pipe was disconnected before my son received the compressor. Maybe this weekend we can dig into it. Thanks for all of the input. It's very helpful.

Skymaster

New User
Jack
that is a compression fitting. looks like you may have to replace that tubing and the compression fitting. that tube very important as it sends pressure to the pressure controller.

patlaw

Mike
Corporate Member
My son has lost interest in the air compressor, so none of the suggestions has been tried. Does anyone here want it? I need to get rid of it.

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
My son has lost interest in the air compressor, so none of the suggestions has been tried. Does anyone here want it? I need to get rid of it.
I could use it. I Could pick it up tomorrow if you would like.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS