Lathe Storage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob

New User
Rob
I decided I didn't like the rack under my lathe, a pain to clean and looked cluttered. So I'm in the process of building a modular cabinet and drawer for it. This is the start. I wanted to add more weight so I made a sand box for the base. I wanted to use the space between the supports instead of building it on top of the supports.

Using 2x6's, I cut dado's in the ends for sides, rabbits along the top and bottom for 3/4" plywood.

sandbox_6_.JPG

I had to assemble this on the lathe as I couldn't get it to fit assembled. I wasn't convinced that screws into the side of the plywood would hold the weight of the sand, so built 2x4 straps to re-enforce it.

sandbox_7_.JPG

Almost 200lbs of play sand in the bottom, holding up nicely.

All sealed up and ready for the cabinet to slide in on top, I'll be building it today. Then I'll build a set of drawers to slide on top of that. All this will be modular so it can be dis-assembled for moving. I'll have to take a shop vac to clean the sand out. Hopefully I won't be moving it anytime soon.

T

toolferone

That sucker ain't going no place! Look forward to seeing the cabinet for it.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Off to a great start, Rob. I've only got 100# of sand in the base of my lathe cabinet, but then, I don't use my lathe. . . . much. :gar-Bi

Bill

Rob

New User
Rob
Update, I finished the cabinet with the exception of the doors, ran out of screws, but picked some up and finished this morning. I'm now in the process of building the drawer section that will reside on top. Credit for the wood goes to Heath, (HMS) he gave me the plywood I'm using. Edged in red oak to hide the plywood edges and finished with Minwax tung oil finish I had on hand.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
I like the red oak banding on the plywood: nice contrast. What's behind the doors? Open space, or do you have cubbies for smaller items? Looking good. :icon_thum

Bill

gesiak

John
Corporate Member
Nice Rob;:thumbs_up:thumbs_up like the look. Cant wait to see the drawer section. Might be inspired enough to make on for my lathe stand.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
That looks great! Will the drawers hold your turning tools? Seems like it will be very convenient and will keep the tools clean.

MikeH

New User
Mike
Rob that looks awesome!!! I'll be headed up to your place this weekend to pick up that wood and get a shop tour.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Really, really nice, Rob. I might have to come down to Sanford just to see this masterpiece. I really like the grain matching on the doors, and the red oak trim. :eusa_danc

Bill

Rob

New User
Rob
I haven't had a chance to turn anything since that was built. But I had 3 bags of sand under the lather prior to build, and I did notice that after.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS