Lathe Recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.

windknot

Scott
Senior User
I am looking at purchasing a mini or midi lathe but not sure what to buy. I have read all the online reviews and nearly all of them have a different top choice. I am an experienced woodworker but have not turned in 30 yrs so taking the Woodcraft 101 class is probably in the cards. I don't want to under buy but also don't need a large lathe filling up a corner. I have an interest in learning about turning bowls, Nantucket basket molds and possibly duck calls. Anyone have some recommendations?

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Pick a price range and get one in that range. There no free lunch in lathe buys out there. The bigger, the better. All the cheapies are Asian-made. There are thousands of "I like mine just fine" testimonials out there from those that have a single sample experience.

Stuart Kent

Stuart
Senior User
I am looking at purchasing a mini or midi lathe but not sure what to buy. I have read all the online reviews and nearly all of them have a different top choice. I am an experienced woodworker but have not turned in 30 yrs so taking the Woodcraft 101 class is probably in the cards. I don't want to under buy but also don't need a large lathe filling up a corner. I have an interest in learning about turning bowls, Nantucket basket molds and possibly duck calls. Anyone have some recommendations?

you should join us for the NCFS Woodturners Club meeting this Saturday at 10:00 am. You can try out any of the lathes that we have, which include: Robust, Harvey, Rikon, Nova, Jet, & Delta

the North Carolina Furniture School
503 Second St.
Ayden, NC

TENdriver

New User
TENdriver
you should join us for the NCFS Woodturners Club meeting this Saturday at 10:00 am. You can try out any of the lathes that we have, which include: Robust, Harvey, Rikon, Nova, Jet, & Delta

the North Carolina Furniture School
503 Second St.
Ayden, NC

I would throw out there that Midi lathes are still evolving. For the last several years, the very latest Midi tends to be much better in terms of features and performance.

I’m not following the new intros that close, but I think there was a new Midi introduced recently and the overall specs/numbers and price seemed impressive. I don’t remember if Stuart or Klingspors had it on hand.

With the incredible Midi lathes that are available right now, I just can’t see any reason to consider a Mini unless there are some extenuating criteria like working out of a small RV or something.

JGregJ

Greg
User
I’ve seen folks on this forum recommend getting one with variable speed control. Mine has only belt control, works ok, but if I did it again I’d get that variable speed control. I’ve seen reverse on some models, not sure when that would be used?

Stuart Kent

Stuart
Senior User
I would throw out there that Midi lathes are still evolving. For the last several years, the very latest Midi tends to be much better in terms of features and performance.

I’m not following the new intros that close, but I think there was a new Midi introduced recently and the overall specs/numbers and price seemed impressive. I don’t remember if Stuart or Klingspors had it on hand.

With the incredible Midi lathes that are available right now, I just can’t see any reason to consider a Mini unless there are some extenuating criteria like working out of a small RV or something.

Good comment, and I agree. We have 8 of the new Rikon 70-220VSR lathes and love them! 1hp, 12" swing, 20" between centers (can add a bed extension for 40"), variable speed, good castings, etc.

JGregJ

Greg
User
Stuart that’s the one I wish I had :) I have the older Rikon midi, serving me well, but was drooling over the newer sibling at klingspor the other day.

bowman

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member

That would be the Laguna Revo 1216, it was on display at the recent Extravaganza in Hickory. It looked nice, but I did not see it in action, and do not remember too many of the specs at the moment.
https://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/showthread.php?t=65895

Last edited:

windknot

Scott
Senior User
Thanks Stuart. I saw that online but am going to the NC State -ECU game tomorrow. I will try to make the next meeting

windknot

Scott
Senior User
I saw the Rikon 70-220VSR on sale at Highland for $599. during their Black Friday sale. I should have bought it. It is now $749.

windknot

Scott
Senior User
I have just seen the new Laguna Revo 1216. It is right much smaller than the Rikon 70-220VSR. Has anyone heard if it will be on sale. Has anyone seen it yet?

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
Maybe one of these:
https://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/classifieds.php?do=viewitem&itemid=2749

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS