Lathe Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

cskipper

Cathy
I saw what I considered to be an unusual lathe and wondered if anyone had any experience with it. It was a Craftsman (yes, I know) with a capacity of 36" spindles, 10 or 12" inboard and 18 or 24" outboard capacity, variable speed. The really unusual thing was that the motor was mounted at the tail stock and the variable speed control was at the head stock. I can get it for $50 without any of the chucks or cutting tools, but I have those anyway, but I'd double check that they would work before I bought it.

michaelgarner

New User
Michael
just depends,,,if you want a secone lathe the price is right,,but realize that you may (you never know buying used tools) spend some money on parts that arent there. If they have the manual check the parts list and make sure everything is there. Then ask to subtract of the price, sears isnt cheap on parts. my 2Cents. be blessed friend. But for 50 bucks if it runs good and is balanced,,you cant go wrong.

cskipper

Cathy
Well, I'm not buying it from Sears and the cost is only $50 (more to someone else but John deals with this guy fairly often. He's taken stuff back from us on the rare occasions we can't make it work for us). Good idea about checking the parts list. Thanks.

stoneskippers

New User
John Skipper
Mike Davis said:
I can't understand how the motor would be at the tail stock and it would still have outboard power.

If you get it I would like to see a photo.

On the head end you have 2 chuck shaft screws going both directions. One toward the tail end and one out board. This is the same guy I bought my dedicated mortise chisel for $45.00. I've bought several thing from him including electric honing machine, 6" belt and disk sander, portable miter saw stand and a power washer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors