lathe gloat - long version

Status
Not open for further replies.

skeeter

New User
Charles
I bought a Rikon mini lathe way back at the Klingspor show in Hickory. Had to promise LOML not to use it till Christmas. Family all gave me accessories, including a pen starter kit from PSI. Just before Christmas I started building a lathe stand, hopefully similar to the one Splinger built and posted here. About the time I started on the stand, my MIL took a turn for the worse. WW projects stopped as I was helping around the house and Christmas stuff while my wife was spending as much time as possible with her mom. She passed away 1/1/08 at 4:45 AM. We were with her. Talk about how to bring in the New Year.

Anyway, I finished just enough of the stand to mount the lathe. Couldn't wait any longer, just had to check to see if it was the right height. Here is the long overdue post.

[

I made the obligatory first pen, a slimline, 24kt twist top and Rosewood blanks that came in the PSI starter kit. It turned out OK, so I just had so show LOML how tallented I was. Thinking I had mastered penmaking in just one pen, I proceded to shatter the next two blanks (too thin). Wife asked me to make six more for people in the neighborhood who were so nice and helpful. Good practice, and they turned out OK.

RayH

New User
Ray
Congrats on the late Christmas present. I really like the stand. Now, where are the pictures of the pens?

Ray

Shayne

New User
Shayne
I too purchased the Rikon before Christmas and promised not to open before Christmas. However I've been busy with various things and have not got around to creating a stand yet or even opening the box yet. Did you use a plan from somewhere or just wing it? I'm undecided on what I will do for the stand.

Shayne

sapwood

New User
Roger
Sorry about your MIL Charles. It's been a tough year for your family.

:icon_thum The lathe stand and pens look great though. Not that we would expect anything less from you.

Roger

Badabing

New User
Joe
Charles, my sympathies on the loss of your MIL.

On a lighter note, that's a great looking stand for your lathe, nice work! Those pens look very familiar too. Seems I made the same one as my first about a month ago :rolf:

Keep at it! I never had so much fun woodworking since I got a lathe :drunken_s

M

McRabbet

Sorry to hear about your family loss, but you've done a nice job on both the lathe stand and the first pens. But be warned about falling down the spiny side!! It is reportedly a severe affliction (and one I've avoided like the plague!)

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
Charles, that lathe stand sure looks familiar. :lol: Looks like you are off to a really good start with the lathe and stand. The slope is steep as you are finding out. I haven't used mine in days :crybaby2:due to a large project taking up the shop space and my time.

Sorry to hear about your MIL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS