Lathe advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
I have the opportunity to pick up an older lathe here locally that seems to be in very good shape. It is a Rockwell / Delta 46-140 with the following:
11" swing, 36" between centers. Headstock ballbearing and morse taper, tailstock morse taper. Bech length 50", all cast iron construction. It also includes the following: 4 jaw chuck, interior and exterior jaws. Straight 10" tool rest, curve 6" bowl tool rest, 3" faceplate, 6" faceplate, 12" sanding face plate, live tailstock center, prong drive center, face guard, 9" OD caliper with open center, 6.5" OD caliper, 5.5" OD caliper, 5.5" OD caliper open center, 5" scribe, 4" turning scribe, "S" bowl gauge caliper, lamp with flex arm, headstock pin wrench, headstock wrench. Also 14 turning tools:
Packard 1/2" gouge, Sorby 1.25" roughing gouge, Sorby hollowing tool, Sorby shallow gouge, Sorby 13MM gouge, Record 3/8" finger nail gouge, Record 5/8" bowl gouge, 1.25" taper nose granulator knife, 1.25" flat skew granulator knife, 1.25" round scraper granulator knife, 3/8" taper skew granulator knife, 1/2" spindle tool granulator knife, 1/2" taper skew granulator knife, unknown parting tool. Being a turning newbie I was hoping for some guidance. We have agreed in principal to $550. Does this sound like a good investment?

JRD

New User
Jim
If you are a woodturner or just considering it, that's a lot of equipment for the dollar.

clowman

Clay Lowman
Corporate Member
Wouldn't that be close to $500 in just turning tools? Sounds like a good deal to me.

Ozzie-x

New User
Randy
Sounds like a good deal. Might want to check the motor & electrics. Even if you have to get a motor it's a good deal.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Yea, you suck! that does sound like a great deal. Obviously, check the condition of everything. Turning tools can be sharpened down to nubs, and bearings can be worn etc. Fire it up before you take it and make sure all sounds right. But even with a bad motor you really can't go wrong if all the tools, chucks and other accessories are in good shape.
Dave:)

M

McRabbet

Steve, I agree with everything that's been said, but it wouldn't hurt to check the headstock for any runout with a dial caliper. What a great deal; I'm jealous!

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Steve D said:
Does this sound like a good investment?

I don't know Steve......that doesn't sound like a very good investment at all, and I would hate to see such a nice guy like you get skewed.:eusa_naug Why don't you shoot me a PM with this guy's phone number and I'll talk to him about it. Hmmm.......I wonder if he takes cash, check, or CC.:eusa_thin

D L

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
Thanks for the input folks, I'll let you know how it turns out (no pun intended). DL, thanks for covering my back. I really appreciate that. If you would like to do some more research for me, call 1-900-875-2241. Ask for Roxy. :slap:

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Steve D said:
Thanks for the input folks, I'll let you know how it turns out (no pun intended). DL, thanks for covering my back. I really appreciate that. If you would like to do some more research for me, call 1-900-875-2241. Ask for Roxy. :slap:

Hey Steve.......I think you gave me a bum number or something. I gave Roxy a call, she had a real thick Caribbean accent and didn't know squat about any lathe. She wasn't even a woodworker, but I think she might dabble in the plumping trade cause she kept me on the phone for 30 minutes trying to tell me how to lay some pipe or something. The LOML had to get on the phone just to tell Roxy to shut up.

:rotflm:

Good luck with your lathe deal. From all the comments above it sounds like you can't go wrong. Oh yeah...... you suck!

D L

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS