Latest Project. Stickley Inspired Entertainment Console

cyclopentadiene

Update your profile with your name
User
Designed and modeled using two Stickley pieces with a mix of Maloof inspiration. The stickley Harvey Ellis Entertainment Console served as the base inspiration and the Stickley Gathering table for the two tier top portion. The sides are Maloof inspired along with the rounded legs. The soundbar will fit inside the hole in the top section and all cables can be beatly maintained inside. There are access holes in the inside portion of the top for cables to other electronics. The doors are on European sliding hinges from Rockler. Each door is bookmatched. And both use the same piece of wood. The piece is Sapele with a mahogany plywood back and finished with Waterlox. This was my first time making a case goods piece and first time making doors. The Sapele was 4/4 but finished out at 1” thick so this piece is really heavy. The two top pieces are a single board.

Attachments

• 9EEEBE2E-0E57-4BE2-9E8C-6AE2DFF723AB.jpeg
    9EEEBE2E-0E57-4BE2-9E8C-6AE2DFF723AB.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 209
  • 52698851-9002-401B-B8BF-3EA9DCAE6DBD.jpeg
    52698851-9002-401B-B8BF-3EA9DCAE6DBD.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 213
  • 4EC79420-D225-4B6F-B735-D6B4586C75CF.jpeg
    4EC79420-D225-4B6F-B735-D6B4586C75CF.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 207
  • 7AED1CA1-C675-4F71-96BA-190DD002F90A.jpeg
    7AED1CA1-C675-4F71-96BA-190DD002F90A.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 198

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
VERY cool!
Love the use of Sapele.
And nice how the toy car sit on top of it in the last picture! :D :cool: ;)

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
I'm always amazed at the beauty of Arts & Craft design. That's a Stickley through and through. Very nice indeed.

Pop :)

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Really nice. But I would almost call it Danish modern not Stickley. They will blend as both paid attention to proportion.

cyclopentadiene

User
I went to the Stickley showroom in High Point and took some photos. Their web site has the dimensions for both pieces and I merged the two together. I sketched what I wanted on a piece of paper with loose measurements for a material list then the final design was based on the lumber dimensions available at The Hardwood Store.

Most stickley furniture is classic shaker (square and Boxy) and I prefer curves. Once everything is dry fit as a box style, I sketch the curves directly on the wood and cut on the band saw. I also use roundover bits everywhere possible to soften edges and use rasps to make larger radiuses.

My approach is probably unconventional but I have a theory to just go for it. As long as you glue nothing together except panels, there is nothing to lose if the design does not work. You can use the lumber for something else. Worst case you spent a lot of money for firewood!

cyclopentadiene

User
I am lucky as we live in Elon just a few miles from the Hardwood store. I visited for about a month until they opened a new shipment of sapele. I was able to go through the stacks to find all quartersawn material which has a great look.
i did the same for the corresponding gathering table behind our sofa. I am amazed how much darker that piece has gotten in a year.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS