DSC_07731.JPG

DSC_0763.JPG

DSC_0760.JPG

DSC_0748.JPG

Last edited:

pviser

New User
paul
Here is my latest project, a foray into bent lamination of my design. This table is comprised of four intersecting arches, each is 14 layers of maple, with two central tapering layers of cherry. Adhesive is epoxy. There are no right angles anywhere, so I needed engineer's vellum paper to keep straight the curves, tapers, angles, and splays. The legs include cherry sock feet which I have included in several of my projects. The top floats with minimal visible support. So far, it remains flat. I was willing to push the envelope on this point because it was important to avoid any visual distractions from this table's clean arches. The top is a bookmatch, with muted grain by choice. I did not want to have the grain draw attention from the legs, but some faint curl and small knots serve as a reminder of the table's symmetry and organic origin. The finish is oil-based polyurethane, with careful paring of nibs and sanding after each coat. The final step was rubbing with 0000 steel wool, giving a semi-gloss patina and a silky hand.

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Paul, this is one of the most awesome pieces I have seen posted on this site! The table is a beautiful combination of elegance and craftsmanship! WOW...thank you for sharing.

pviser

New User
paul
Thanks to each of you for your positive feedback. Bill is correct about the challenge of tapering the cherry central layer of the legs. The thickness goes from 7/32" in the middle to 1/32" at the ends. This one feature added two weekends. I made an 8-foot jig with a 1/4" depression in the middle, affixed a 1/4" thick cherry strip with double-sided tape, then ran it through my drum sander many times until I got the desired dimensions.

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
Great design, beautiful looking table! Is the top also thinner in the middle than on the ends? Or is it just my eyes?

pviser

New User
paul
Thanks for asking, Raymond. I picked up that little edge trick from the cover article in Fine Woodworking, "A Trestle Table with Modern Appeal" by Daniel Chaffin. The effect is achieved by starting with a rectangular table top, then ripping an underbevel with the table saw. The final step is to shape the long edges into a curve. This gives the appearance of the table top being thicker at the ends.

pviser

New User
paul
Jeff and Bill, you are kind to suggest a Fine Woodworking submission. Their bar is high, but they do seem to like unusual designs. I might give that a try. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS